Forward Controls - 07 FXDC

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by jimharvey1, Dec 21, 2008.

1. jimharvey1

jimharvey1 Junior Member

Has anyone installed a forward control kit on their Dyna? I'm seriously considering it on my 07 FXDC. Pros & cons? Installation tips? What special tools am I going to need? I was looking at the Harley OEM kit which includes the plug for the mid-control hole in the outer primary. Might just save a few extra pennies up and throw a new chrome inner cover on as well seeing I gotta pull the grey one off to pull the shifter shaft out and change the lever on the tranny. Any thoughts? I'm about 6' 0".:dknow

:FLORIDA

Thanks, & Merry CHRISTmas.

Jim

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

3. jmpancoast

jmpancoast Active Member

I am 6'2" and installed forwards on my 06 FXDI. I love them. They are a lot more comfortable for me.

I installed the Harley forwards without pulling the primary covers. You can use a hacksaw blade to cut the shifter shaft accessing in the space between the primary and tranny cases. Took me less than an hour to do the complete install.

[​IMG]

4. jimharvey1

jimharvey1 Junior Member

Hmmm...hacksaw blade with a wrench taped to it and a chrome plated carriage bolt...maybe even with a bolt head cover on it...and that would save even having to pull the outer cover! I like that. I also like the idea of the short-throw shifter. (Although finding neutral is sometimes a pain in the derrierre now, I can't imagine with a shorter throw)

Any preference between the OEM Kit and the billet sets available from K├╝ryakyn and others?

Saw a pic of that bike in the previous thread. SWEET! Why would you want to change the tin on that beautiful mosheen?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  5. jmpancoast

jmpancoast Active Member

Thanks for the comments. The Harley forwards were the only ones I looked at.

The tin change started out as just wanting to get the tank painted to get rid of the decals. Turned out it was going to cost a lot more than I planned on, so I decided to do the tins.

6. Slapp

Slapp Junior Member

OK so here was my problem. Being of the vertically chalenged (5'4") I was unsure of putting forwards on my 2008 Superglide, not to mention the cost of having the dealer install them at a rate of 70 bucks an hour for 5 hours. None the less I decided to purchase the controls and have the dealer install them later, kind of a two stage process. Of course like any kid with a new toy when I got home I opened the package and started playing and reading. This is when I discovered they gave me the wrong kit. They gave me the forwards for a 2003-06. Same kit but with a cap to cover the old shift shaft. Needless to say I started installing the kit on my 08 Dyna and I kid you not, 35 minutes later I was test riding my bike with forwards installed. looks great works great and the 03-06 kit was 50 bucks cheaper than the 08 kit. Because of my shortness I added a mustang seat with backrest for ease of reach.

7. mpgulyas

mpgulyas Member

yea this can be done ( installed with out removing the primary), i was looking at one of the street bobs the other day, as my nieghbor wants me to put forwards on his 07, i will be making a part to replace the missing part out of the 05 and under kit. back then they just had you use a piece of metal to tie the original shift lever to the motor. i'll be making a piece to tie it to the rear shifter lever( with hardware) . this will make things alot easier , and it won't restrict you from ever putting the mid controls back on ( you know in case you sell , you can remove them to put on the new bike):D

8. jimharvey1

jimharvey1 Junior Member

Yeah, I thought of that when I envisioned hacking away at the shifter shaft. "What if I decide I don't like the front controls...I wonder how much that little ole shaft costs to replace?" hmmmm... No doubt, it ain't cheap!

I think I may go with pulling the inner primary off. That would give me a good reason to replace it with a chrome one at the same time. :reyes

9. 1moretime

1moretime Member

I had a weilder weild that shaft for me when i broke it, /long story/ anyway he was able to weild the shft back for me without anyone the wiser, i really had no choice at the time i didnt have the money at the time for forward controls or to have the primary removed to put a new shaft on. the weild only cost 20.00

10. mpgulyas

mpgulyas Member

sounds like a good excuse, jim harvey1....but yea the only reason(s) i want to do this is so you can put it back to stock, and i really dont want to take the primary off in my nieghbors yard....no air tools there....hahaha:small3d017: