free website stats program Formula+ | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Formula+

Never used/will use F+ in my tranny - Spectro Platinum 6-speed all the time. Works gr8, shifts smoother & reduces tranny noise.

I have not either. But I have run Formula+ in tranny since new. Changed it maybe 3 times over the course of 9K miles. Never saw much on the magnet but I guess it is time for Spectro 6 speed just to be on the safe side.

Hope it does Not remove the "Clank" when I shift because I live for that sound..

I gar-run-tee it will not remove the "Clank" :D I'm not sure anything could. It will shift smoother though :s

Wouldn't mind getting a copy of that memo....:s

Donnie Peterson in American Iron wrote an article on this, I doubt The MOCO would fess up to us about this, His claim is it is about a 50 eight oil and not stout enough for the tranny but does work well in the primary

All I know is that was a unhealthy amount of shaveings on my mag tip and they where not all small fine shavings. This bike and harley is realy makin me think I need to get the extanded warranty even if i got to go get a loan to get it. I had 110 miles on my 91 evo and still get calls from my buddys up in Boise sayin they see the dude I sold it to crewsin threw town on it. I did have half the issues I have had with this bike and rode it just as hard. guess i should have just rode it till i puked and then rebuilt but i had to have somethin new once i my life. :small3d007:
\

Dave

Dave , I would be making a trip to the dealer for a looksee. My 09 roadglide had to have a tranny brg. changed. mine was still on warrenty. les

The MOCO has told its service department to stop using syn 3 and formula+ in the trannys HMMMM, imagine that:s We were right all aong

Donnie in last months American Iron, too many people complaining about tranny problems and noise, I suspect internal memo, HD Hush Hush cloak and dagger stuff:s

That is NOT what Donny wrote. Here's the section of the article verbatim where he discusses engine and gear oil. (Having read the above comments I figured it would be a good idea to read for myself what Donny actually wrote.)

From American Iron September 2010 Techline by Donny Petersen: Twin Cam Lubrication.

"Although it has been my experience that 80/90 gear oil works better at eliminating gear whine in a Big Twin transmission, others have had the opposite experience. Service managers at dealerships have told me that H-D has advised them to replace SYN3 with gear oil if there are noise issues like whining. While many think 80/90 gear oil is heavier than the 20W-50 SYN3, when both are tested at 100 deg C (212 deg F) 80-weight transmission oil is roughly equivalent to 20-weight engine oil. Furthermore, the SYN3, SAE50-weight oil component will test roughly the same as 90-weight gear oil. However, the viscosities between the two vary at lower temperatures, with the 80/90 gear oil being more viscous. Many riders like to substitute the words heavier or thicker for viscous. However, there are good reasons to use gear oil since it utilizes additives like sulphur compounds, which create acids in engine oils that preclude its usage."
"I feel uncomfortable using the same oil for three different applications that have specific, seperate needs. An engine is hot and dirty. A clutch needs cooling with lubricity for primary chain components. Transmission gears chop up molecules. Additives that help in one area may be detrimental in another. I guess the icing on the cake is that Harley-Davidson has a newly developed Formula+ in its primary chaincase and transmissions. However, I prefer specialized oil for each."

Last edited:
Back