free website stats program Forks clunk...56 Hydra Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Forks clunk...56 Hydra Glide

Feels good enough on the road but the clunk the forks make when topping out is annoying and needs attention.I have the front end off and have the forks as individuals,when i compress the forks they have smooth downward resistance but recoil with little or no resistance and clunk when they top out.I have done some homework online and the problem seems to be one or more of a few things that I'm guessing I should leave to somebody clued up and not attempt myself.I have checked for seal failure,bent tubes,oil,integrity of parts visible externally and tend to think its on the inside.If there is something that I have overlooked I would appreciate the input. Pete

Do you have a factory manual for this bike? If not I would get one or take a look at an exploded view of the forks, I bet the bushings are bad JMO

ok so you have the notorius Hydra clunk, well this a somtimes mystery that cant be solved with some hydra glides, first yes manual break down and parts for your internals are correct for your year, you can do some parts changing and still end up with the same issue, Your best bet as far as bettering your chance to rectifying the mysterious clunk is to start with new fork tubes,but you might not want to due that, but I would at least do new springs my choice progressive ,dampers my choice race tech gold valve dampers.do away with the original style seals with the felt wiper and do the upgrade seals, there is a lot of mystery behind this clunk some feel its the bottle cap stak dampers some feel it has to do with the 1/4 hole in the damper tube bottom that creates issues with how fast or restricts the fluid flow . if I remember correctly there should be 0.0004 free play from the snap ring and lower bushing , 6.5 oz wet 7.0 oz dry as far as fluid capacity. all I can say is my past experiences wth the clunk has been the above upgrade has corrected this issue, I have learned when it come to the clunk my best results came from changing everything all at once ,trying to isolate the problem has never Panned out for me, excuse the pun , Im sure you will get many opinions on the clunk ,but I think the problem is never just one part . as far as fluid to much will blow the seal to little will be to soft, heavy weight fluid will not fix the clunk you have.another couple of things if the parts are found to be aftermarket make sure that 1/4 '' hole in the bottom of the damper tube is 1/4 '' some after market parts were larger and caused this issue also check the snap ring for proper fit some after market snap rings did not fit correctly and left the free play clearence on the + side f the specs. good luck with your Pan .

Thanks Jack and Crocker,your knowledge and input has led me to sending the forks to somebody who echoed your thoughts and possible issues with this problem.These guys work on pre evo harleys here in Australia and after talking to them this morning decided to let them do the job.I dont have a workshop manual for the 56 Jack and whilst that would have been enlightening to see how it all fits,I think it would be beyond me to get it right.So my forks are doing an east coast run in a courier van and not carrying any load!Will let you know how things pan out,Pete

Thanks Jack and Crocker,your knowledge and input has led me to sending the forks to somebody who echoed your thoughts and possible issues with this problem.These guys work on pre evo harleys here in Australia and after talking to them this morning decided to let them do the job.I dont have a workshop manual for the 56 Jack and whilst that would have been enlightening to see how it all fits,I think it would be beyond me to get it right.So my forks are doing an east coast run in a courier van and not carrying any load!Will let you know how things pan out,Pete

Like your play on words PAN OUT good deal hope to hear from you soon, Capital Jack:p

Back