free website stats program fork tube caps | Harley Davidson Forums

fork tube caps

hog up

changing fork oil myself for the first time. scratched the chrome caps from using wrench to loosen. what do you guys recommend to use with this? is there a special wrench or something you modify for this? thanks, hog up

changing fork oil myself for the first time. scratched the chrome caps from using wrench to loosen. what do you guys recommend to use with this? is there a special wrench or something you modify for this? thanks, hog up

I had this situation recently, a friend lent me a quality 'snap- on' adjustable 12 inch wrench, and with careful tightening, ensuring a good fit, it worked well with no scratching......but as always, if you can source the right tool for the job, it makes it far easier!

I bought a six-point socket when I changed my fork oil. Got it at Autozone for ~ $10. Had to loosen the handlebars to be able to fit the socket on the caps.

I bought a six-point socket when I changed my fork oil. Got it at Autozone for ~ $10. Had to loosen the handlebars to be able to fit the socket on the caps.

The tool in the link is essentially the same thing except it is short enough to fit under the bars and you can use an adjustable on it.

Using the right tools to take something apart can save time, money and aggravation. Also prevents FOD.

If you want replacement caps, I'd go with the DBI Fork Tube Caps. I bought a set for mine and no more jacking it up to change the fork tube oil. It's got a 10mm center Allen socket.

I've gotten lots of people ask me what it was for, and they were shocked and wondered why Harley or other manufacturers don't do that to make it easier for the end user to change the fork oil. Something that most people neglect.

Back