free website stats program fork slider interchange | Harley Davidson Forums

fork slider interchange

leedham

Hey gang,

I'm considering swapping my lower fork sliders. They are pitted. Not wanting to go for chrome, I'm looking for good used takeoff aluminum ones ( which I assume is clear powdercoated from the factory ). My part number is R 46497-02 and on eBay, I have found R 46497-02 A. Does anyone know if the " A " is going to cause me problems? Both sides are like that. Or what years are a direct fit? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
The bike is a 2002 FLHRCI

The following is copied from e-bay guides eBay Guides - Harley-Davidson Part Number System

The first five numbers in the part number is the part itself. The numbers after the hyphen is the year it first came out. For example, a 45733-48 is a tube plug oil seal used on the front forks of the FL series bikes from 1948 to present. If this part had a letter following the -48, then it would still be the same part but with an upgrade of some kind. (i.e.; 45733-48A). The same part number, 45733-48B, would be the third incarnation of the part but would still work on 1948 to present FL models. Hypothetically, if the part number were to change from 45733-48A to 45733-95, this would mean it changed so dramatically starting in 1995 that you must use that part from 1995 to present while the dash -48A number would work from 1948-1994 models.
Nuts, bolts, washers (common hardware) and most o-rings do not fall into this part number system. They typically have up to five numbers only (i.e.; part number 11105 is a rubber o-ring where as part number 0207 is a washer).
Keeping it accurate is the key you'll need for using the correct part for the year motorcycle you have.
I hope this helps.
Guide ID: 10000000000121798Guide created: 12/28/05 (updated 10/08/10)

it just means they obsoleted the first part number, and it supercedes to the A part number...what bike do you have, i probably have a couple sets lying around, i did two chrome front end conversions just today....just let me know if you want to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before going to the trouble of swapping out your lowers for different ones (that will end up with the same problem) try this:
600 grit wet/dry sandpaper used wet will almost instantly remove the clear coat. That is what's pitted, not the forks themselves. I did mine and could not believe the finish. After some Bad Dog aluminum polish, there are almost as good as chrome. (Google bad Dog Polish for a cool video) Depening have much time you want to take, the better they get. Give it a try.

Paint stripper will also lift the clearcoat off the metal with no chance of scratching the metal just keep it away from the paint
then use a good qulity metal polish and they will shine like new

Brian

I used paint stripper, a few grades of sandpaper (800-1200) and aluminum polish on my Dyna fork legs. I spent an afternoon doing it. Not as shiny as chrome, but nice looking, and low cost. I polish them once a year, and wax with carnuba to keep from dulling.

Attachments

• B and M reversed 3.jpg
    B and M reversed 3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 22
Back