fork seals gone bad?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by White_Rider, Dec 26, 2007.

1. White_Rider

White_Rider Member

This morning I get out to start er' up and go, worked well enough for being 27 F. After work (@57F) I'm riding along and notice alot of fork oil leaking. I havn't seen this problem on the bike before, and it couldn't be just one side it had to be both. So it's left me wondering if I need to have a particular setup for riding in cold weather or if I'm just s.o.l. until I can afford new fork seals? (I don't know what weight or type the oil is.)

2. White_Rider

White_Rider Member

Pretty much what I figured, thanks for the reply Hobbit.

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I would wash the oil off from the forks and see if it happens again. I once had the same problem, happens some jerk was dribbling some oil on the forks. Some people are real jerks.

Ken

4. White_Rider

White_Rider Member

I'll double check that but I kinda doubt it, I live out in the bfe part of the desert. House's around but no one to really mess with stuff.

5. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

did you catch the jerk and make his front seals leak!!?? To mess with someone's scoot is just a$$-nine!!!

6. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Actually I was parked at a dealers lot and I think it was the owner looking for some shop work.

Ken

7. White_Rider

White_Rider Member

Sounds like the first shop I went to after getting mine. I screwed up and tightened the clutch cable too tight and so it started leaking oil from the gear box. The shop guy says 50 bucks and it'll be replaced. K - a week and a half later and no freakin bike I go in there asking "what the hell" and then they bring out a clutch backplate and try to tell me it broke while they were testing the new clutch cable, and it'll be an additional 350 bucks. I told him I'll pay half because it broke while they had it and that was it. Done deal got the bike out decided never to go back and THEN I look through all the reciepts I have and realize the backplate he brought out was infact a stock piece, not the barnett racing clutch system that is still intact on the bike.