fork oil

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by harley@16, Oct 21, 2012.

1. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

I've read a lot of info about changing fork oil but not sure how critical the amount of oil is and why. It seems that the discussion is focused on the amount down to a drop or two. Is it really that specific?
    Harley.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

It is that criticle. It really isn't that hard to get the right amount in or measuring the amount that comes out. On my '94FLSTC I use a large syringe I buy at the drugstore and a graduated plastic catch beaker, also from the drugstore. There are also different weight oils that will make a big difference in the action of the forks.

3. mc2

mc2 Active Member Contributor

Yes, it is that critical, two.
    It's a good idea to let them drain overnight to get all but a film out of the tubes.

Or, if you are in a hurry like I was, I pushed air into the tubes:D

FYI:I found quite a difference from the OEM 10w to the Screaming Eagle High Performance on my Fat Boy.

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

I went to the local $1 store and bought a cheap measuring cup (2-cup) so I could get the "exact" amount in each fork. You can be a little off w/your motor oil & it blows out the breather, but fork oil has nowhere to go but out the seals which is annoying.

5. HDDon

I went with the MonoTube system from Progressive. I have not had to change fluid yet, but install was a snap.

6. Webbtron

Webbtron Banned

I can't wait to do this...hopefully this winter. When I had the rears done in Sturgis got the reps card and talked to him about the oil and he said they put 5 ounces in to basically lube the bushings.

7. HDDon

Units come fully assembled and your right the 5oz is just to lube the the external housings. Great system.

8. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

I'll have to look into this since I have the forks off now. Thanks for the info.
    Harley.

9. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

10. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

harley

If you have a service manual it will state how much oil goes in the forks. If not measure, the amount you remove and hope the amount was correct to begin with. A drop or two difference is not critical, but you do want the same amount in each fork.