Fork Oil

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by CalRider, Nov 27, 2010.

1. CalRider

CalRider Member

I believe the maintenance schedule for my 04 RK calls for the fork oil to be changed at 30k. Is this really necessary? Can you notice any difference after the change?
    Thanks,
    Rob:57:

2. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

Just looked it up in my HD service manual and it dosen't require it untill 50,000 miles, Harley use to require it sooner, then they found the fluid is good for 50,000 miles so they updated the service schedule so the consumer was not spending their money needlessly. The tech dept at the factory told me the 50,000 miles retro back to earlier models also.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

4. lv2ride56

lv2ride56 Member

Changed mine at 21K. Old oil smelled like burnt fish oil. Replaced with Belray 10 Fork oil. Difference in handling was AMAZING. My advice is chage as soon as you buy the bike.

07FLHTCUI

5. johnkarlfl

johnkarlfl Active Member

can you get that local?

6. Retrop

Retrop Active Member

That is because it was fish oil. Same thing they have been putting in commercial refrigeration compressors for years. I think it goes by the name of "Capella D" or something like that. Just for kicks and giggles one time, many years ago, I put a drop of that fish oil on the hood of an old Ford. A couple hours later that drop had spread to nearly 1/2 of the hoods surface. Slippery stuff for sure. Oh ya, many of our American made Harleys have had Japanese Showa forks on them for years.

7. Mr Pheer

Mr Pheer New Member

I replaced mine with Amsoil and it made a difference.

8. iclick

iclick Member

You have cartridge forks on your bike, so the procedure linked below may not work for you. I changed the fork oil in my '07 FLHX and did a write-up on other forum.

As others have mentioned, the original fish oil looked and smelled like something you would want out of the forks ASAP, and I replaced it with SE Heavy #99881-87 (not the Extra-Heavy Racing oil). This firmed the ride but in a positive way by eliminating bottoming and giving more control. IMO although its firmer it did not make the ride harsh.

Changing the oil was an easy one-hour operation on my bike, and this procedure should work the same for all non-cartridge forks. Anybody with cartridge forks like the OP want to try this out?