Fork oil

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by CobraSnake7, Feb 14, 2009.

1. CobraSnake7

CobraSnake7 New Member

This is my first post to this forum. I am a newby here. I have a 2003 Road King 100 Ann. issue that I want to change the fork oil on. I got it figured out how to do it, but I don't know how much oil to put in the forks after I drain them. Please tell me how much, and if there is anything I need to know in doing this task.

2. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Well I am new too on this forum, but you have to get your self a Maintenance
    Manual, They say everythink how much oil you need , Ebay is the best place to go.:hii

3. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Get a Manual it varys per machine ..

4. accu1

accu1 Member

Does anyone know what the HD dealer typicaly gets to do a fork oil change?

Thanks!

5. Bud White

Depends do you have a cartridge Fork on one side ? I know the 04's do .. that will make price go up

6. accu1

accu1 Member

Not sure, I have a '03 Ultra, only 9500 miles so I can wait but I may get it done sometime this summer.

7. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Dealer said they use a vacuum connected to drain screw.

Vacuum created in the fork sucks a pre-measured amount of oil into the fork

8. Bud White

Thats sounds Just like what i did in the post smitty linked above

9. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I have a '03 UC also. You have a cartridge in the left side. Makes changing the oil in the fork much more difficult. You have to remove that side and turn it over to let it drain out the top.

This varies and depends if your RK has a cartidge in the left side (I don't know if it does or not). Also, if the front has had a lowering kit installed it uses less oil. See attached for the kit on an UC.

TQ

Attached Files:

10. CobraSnake7

CobraSnake7 New Member

I am trying to save some $$$$ by asking questions here as opposed to spending $$$$ for a shop manual. Doesn't anybody out there have a manual that can tell me how much oil I need to put into my 2003 Road King forks ???