free website stats program Fork oil recommendations | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork oil recommendations

sddurbin

Getting ready to change out the fork oil when my '08 FLHT hits 20,000 miles. Any recommendations as to what may work better than stock HD oil? Just wanting some ideas. Thanks!

Scott in IL ('08 FLHT-The Mistress):)

You could run fork oil from Amsoil, But I am running Harley fork oil in my Ultra Classic and it does fine.

Oops, guess I should have consulted my service manual first. I was looking at a vehicle maintenance schedule from the service dept. of Myrtle Beach H-D that someone posted, and they recommend it at 20,000 on the touring bikes.

I would change it at 20,000 miles IF you feel it is giving the need to stiffen up things a bit or having issues AND if you are concerned that oil may have deteriorated with you are doing service in the area anyway (adjusting ride height or just inspection of fluid condition).

Personally, I changed my fork oil on my Katana at 1500 miles then 10,000 miles and at that mark it was not "honey colored, but a very dark brown...changed it in my current Sportster because I did not want to take a chance on finding out later, and glad I did because it was the same, a very dark grey/brown. It is one of those things that are not critical, but a good idea especially if you want to check on fluid condition. As Smitty and others have suggested, measure number of fluid ounces comes out of there and compare to specification.

Last edited:
I agree with JJDH...Spectro "Type E" is perfect for touring bikes. Just changed to it about 1000 miles ago. Couldn't be happier with the weight and performance of the fluid.

I don't know about touring bikes, but I changed mine on my flstc and used PJ1 Fork Tuner fork oil 30 wt. it works great compared to whatever stock oil was in it.

Back