free website stats program fork oil change? | Harley Davidson Forums

fork oil change?

marcus22

ok, I finally got into changing my fork oil. but I still have a couple questions.

I have a 2003 ultra classic.

first of all my manual for the bike explanes how to change the fork oil for the air pressure style. mine is not. and it tells you to pull off the front wheel and fender. then completly pull the forks off the bike just to change the oil in them. there has to be an easyer way of doing this. please help me out.

thanks.

marcus

I was reading that easy fork oil change, and I dont know if that will work. I thought that I had the non-cartridge on the right side. if I do, than would I have to take off the wheel and fender to change the oil?

I've read the Self Help Tip multiple times but haven't actually performed the service yet so I'm not qualified to answer. Glider will be along shortly!

and it tells you to pull off the front wheel and fender. then completly pull the forks off the bike just to change the oil in them. there has to be an easyer way of doing this. please help me out.
marcus

I believe it all depends on if you have the drain plugs at the bottom of each leg. My FX legs don't have the drain plugs so the legs must be removed from the triple tree's and inverted if you want a complete drain.

If you have the drain plugs, I'm pretty sure your good to go.

You have a cartridge in the left side on that bike. Even if you do have the drain plug on that side you have to remove the fork and drain it that way and be very careful about the refill of oil to get the proper amount. It's a bit more than doing the left side as far as replacing the oil.
Service Manual says break it down all the way, otherwise you won't get all the old oil out of the cartridge as it must be pumped MANY times to get it out.

Something to consider if you are putting miles on the bike, or you could pick up a non cartridge for the left side USED.

Cartridge Fork Elimination. - Harley Davidson Community

Zanotti's sells a pair of 06 forks for around $377 shipped. they come ready to bolt on and it eliminates the cartridge.

I usually put on a lot of miles every year. so I see the need to change over to the better forks. the forks I have now are not giving me any problems, so would it be a good idea to just run them until I get the funds to upgrade to the newer forks, and not wast my time changing the oil on them now? if I am going to upgrade, why not run them until they are shot? let me know if this is a bad idea.

thanks for all your help.

marcus

That's a judgment call Marcus. The ride deteriorates with miles with improper maintenance and will wear faster. Consider that you could sell the forks that come off maybe on craigslist.org for some return on your investment if they are in decent shape.
The replacement forks from an 06 if you order new will have better valving and give a better ride than the present ones on the bike now.

Sure can as long as you have the fork drain screws .06 was the first year they went back to the NON cartridge forks on both sides on all baggers. The RK never had the cartridges.

Back