free website stats program Fork Brace Install Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork Brace Install Problem

colo1032

Okay, I give up! Need tips on how to loosen up the fork dust covers on a Deuce. Want to install a brace and instructions say to move the covers a 1/16th of an inch (if my memory is correct). However, when I use a wood dowel, all the wood does is split. I have used regular wood, hard wood same affect. What am I missing here?

You might try getting some penetrating oil up in there and letting it soak. I ended up using a piece of delrin plastic to drive off.

They are just pressed into the top of the slider. You might try a punch or a flat blade screw driver, but make sure you take little taps and work around the slider so you don't damage the caps.

TQ

There should be a starter notch you can fit a brass punch in soak them in PB Blaster first and go easy:s

Thanks for the response guys. Regarding the penetrating oild, do I neeed to be careful so it doesn't get mixed up in the fork oil, or will it not have access to that when I spray? Chester what is delrin plastic?

Thanks for the response guys. Regarding the penetrating oild, do I neeed to be careful so it doesn't get mixed up in the fork oil, or will it not have access to that when I spray? Chester what is delrin plastic?

The penetrating oil should not get past the seal, if it does it should still be OK

Polyoxymethylene (commonly referred to as POM and also known as polyacetal or polyformaldehyde) is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. It is commonly known under DuPont's trade name Delrin.

It is a very tough type of plastic.

Polyoxymethylene (commonly referred to as POM and also known as polyacetal or polyformaldehyde) is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. It is commonly known under DuPont's trade name Delrin.

It is a very tough type of plastic.

That was a mouthfull.. :small3d018: Or considering it was on a keyboard, a handful?

Last edited:
Being as it is made by Dupont, probably a variant is used in our cam tensioners and such as they made nylon and Teflon materials as well...mixing hardness, lubricant properties for the application.

Back