Fork Brace Install Problem

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by colo1032, Aug 5, 2010.

1. colo1032

colo1032 Member

Okay, I give up! Need tips on how to loosen up the fork dust covers on a Deuce. Want to install a brace and instructions say to move the covers a 1/16th of an inch (if my memory is correct). However, when I use a wood dowel, all the wood does is split. I have used regular wood, hard wood same affect. What am I missing here?

2. chester1957

chester1957 Member

You might try getting some penetrating oil up in there and letting it soak. I ended up using a piece of delrin plastic to drive off.

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

They are just pressed into the top of the slider. You might try a punch or a flat blade screw driver, but make sure you take little taps and work around the slider so you don't damage the caps.

TQ

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

There should be a starter notch you can fit a brass punch in soak them in PB Blaster first and go easy:s

5. colo1032

colo1032 Member

Thanks for the response guys. Regarding the penetrating oild, do I neeed to be careful so it doesn't get mixed up in the fork oil, or will it not have access to that when I spray? Chester what is delrin plastic?

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

The penetrating oil should not get past the seal, if it does it should still be OK

7. chester1957

chester1957 Member

Polyoxymethylene (commonly referred to as POM and also known as polyacetal or polyformaldehyde) is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. It is commonly known under DuPont's trade name Delrin.

It is a very tough type of plastic.

8. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

That was a mouthfull.. :small3d018: Or considering it was on a keyboard, a handful?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  9. chester1957

chester1957 Member

It's a hard plastic that is impact resistent.

I guess that wasn't so tough.

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Being as it is made by Dupont, probably a variant is used in our cam tensioners and such as they made nylon and Teflon materials as well...mixing hardness, lubricant properties for the application.