free website stats program For you tech guys, a ? | Harley Davidson Forums

For you tech guys, a ?

Fuzzman

Account Removed
I have slip-ons on my bike, I keep hearing that I should put stage1 on the bike. One of the techs down at the dealer, told me it was not neccesary. You would think he would try to sell it to me anyway. So should I do this or not? I don't want to do damage to the bike if I can help it, but also don't want to spend money for no good reason. Please let me know. Thanks in advance. Fuzz

I have slip-ons on my bike, I keep hearing that I should put stage1 on the bike. One of the techs down at the dealer, told me it was not neccesary. You would think he would try to sell it to me anyway. So should I do this or not? I don't want to do damage to the bike if I can help it, but also don't want to spend money for no good reason. Please let me know. Thanks in advance. Fuzz

If you have put on higher flow slip-ons, then you are at a Stage 1/2 already. Stage 1 is no more than opening up the beast's airways so that she can huff and puff more easily. But with both a high flow breather and freer exhaust, more fuel is required over the already lean factory settings on the ECM map. This either means a Dealership download (which gets her back to factory lean), or some sort of device that adds fuel as an aftermarket add-on. Fuelers are different than tuners, and most street rideable bikes don't really need a tuner (aka, race tuner) since they are not gonna be racing anyway. Check out the Self-help section on EFI tuners here:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

TQ nailed it. Just to add the stage 1 and some added fuel, it does run better.

Last edited:
Well, Im no tech. In fact I dont know much except what I learn here! :D
I just wanted to chime in and tell you that hubby had stage 1 put on mine and vance & hines pipes.
It sounds awesome!!!!!! :D
7_2_102.gif

If the tech told you that a complete stage 1 isn't necessary, you might have found yourself a good trustworthy tech.
Aside from that, here's the info I think you're getting at:
What you have now, the slip ons, will make the bike sound better, and that is about it.
A stage 1 (pipes, air cleaner, fuel mgmt) does a couple things:
-allows more air to flow in and out of the engine, which provides more horsepower and torque
-provides the correct air/fuel ratio to the engine, making it run cooler than stock, and more efficiently.
You will not damage your bike by doing a stage 1. Actually, you will help it out, since stock bikes have a lean fuel setting from the factory (which makes it run hotter), and stage 1 corrects it.
If the bike runs nicely now, then you don't HAVE to do the stage 1. However, if you want the bike to run more efficiently and want more power for low cost, stage 1 is your ticket.

If your trying to save $$$, and just want to go one step at a time, your doing the steps in the right order. Me I went stage 1 all at once. Pipes,air cleaner and fuel manager. I was happy but the out of pocket cost is almost around $1000. My bro bought pipes. (Vance & Hines Short shots--$350) Then when I bought my T-Max tuner I sold him my Cobra Tuner (at half price of course, he's my bro.:s $120) Then he bought the Stage 1 Arlen ness Big Sucker air cleaner ($100) When he put on the pipes, he was happy with the sound. When he put on the tuner, He was happy again with a cooler running engine. and he said "I think it's a little faster:D" He put on the air cleaner and again he got some joy from a full stage 1.
So it's not "Necessary" to go stage 1, but I think you'd like it.:s

Save your money..a stage 1 is a joke... the Tech was being straight up with you...all it really does is extend the rpm red line to 6250....it does not add enough fuel to richen up a briggs & stratten....take that money and invest in a Power Commander..

Save your money..a stage 1 is a joke... the Tech was being straight up with you...all it really does is extend the rpm red line to 6250....it does not add enough fuel to richen up a briggs & stratten....take that money and invest in a Power Commander..

I think you are talking about a dealer download not a stage 1

Back