free website stats program for those with black bikes | Harley Davidson Forums

for those with black bikes

titan307

its getting cold here down in the 20's for a few days so i figured a good time to strip and rewax the bike. I tried something new, "the Black Box" from turtle wax made specifically for black vehicles. it comes in a black box kit with cleaner wax spray and a special carnuba wax. im usually a Mothers or Mcguiers user

step 1:
i washed the bike in dishwashing liquid to strip off all the old wax and grease

Step 2:
apply the black colored cleaner wax in back and forth motion instead of circular let dry to haze then remove with the spray and towel which to me looks like black tinted water and doing so seems to make the cleaner sort of clump and makes it harder to remove.

step 3:
apply the black colored wax in a back and forth motion let dry then remove with the spray and a towel. again seems to make it a bit more difficult to buff out.

really deep and high gloss shine
no white residue stuck in the creases to dig out
easy on easy off even with the spray
did hide SOME swirl marks and light scuffs

My opinion is, if you own a black bike or car this is the wax you need.

Yea, I've used it for a few years now. Good stuff. Here in Florida that "like new" shine only lasts a few weeks.

its getting cold here down in the 20's for a few days so i figured a good time to strip and rewax the bike. I tried something new, "the Black Box" from turtle wax made specifically for black vehicles. it comes in a black box kit with cleaner wax spray and a special carnuba wax. im usually a Mothers or Mcguiers user

step 1:
i washed the bike in dishwashing liquid to strip off all the old wax and grease

Step 2:
apply the black colored cleaner wax in back and forth motion instead of circular let dry to haze then remove with the spray and towel which to me looks like black tinted water and doing so seems to make the cleaner sort of clump and makes it harder to remove.

step 3:
apply the black colored wax in a back and forth motion let dry then remove with the spray and a towel. again seems to make it a bit more difficult to buff out.

really deep and high gloss shine
no white residue stuck in the creases to dig out
easy on easy off even with the spray
did hide SOME swirl marks and light scuffs

My opinion is, if you own a black bike or car this is the wax you need.

So would that be for only the vivid black color, I have black pearl metalflake..thanks!

not sure if it will or not. im not sure if it is a typical dye as it did not stain my hands or the towels. that would be a good question for the manufacturer. i will shoot them an email/comment and see what they say about it.

update:

the website specifies that this product can be used on metallics which i think would fall under pearls.

Do not worry about the black coloration in the products. it does not impart the dark color to the tins. What it does do is not leave white residue in scratches and tight places. As for the polishing action, it does do that, but not necessarily better than other products of similar order. I do use this product, and it does a good job. It is not magic, though. It is an incremental improvement over non-dark-colored polishes.

I use it for the now-and-then times of serious detailing, and Pledge for the in-between maintenance. Overall...good stuff.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'm a lifetime Black bike fan. "Black" IS the fastest color as we all know.:cheers

This sounds like an interesting product, worth a try. I do wonder though, why it is so difficult to buff out, as the OP states. Isn't the spray a "Detailer"? That said, I'm not sure it should be used in place of buffing out the dried wax that was just applied. Seems like it would thin out the protective wax coating?

Lastly, I think this is just a black tinted wax, so in the end you dont see the "white" of ordinary waxes in the creases and crevices, paint nicks, scrathes, etc. Good idea.

Normally, I use only Meguiers Glaze #7 which is a super fine polish, then Black Magic Liquid Wax as a protective coating. This has worked well for me through the years, but there is always time for improvement! Thanks for the review.

Bob

I'm a lifetime Black bike fan. "Black" IS the fastest color as we all know.:cheers

This sounds like an interesting product, worth a try. I do wonder though, why it is so difficult to buff out, as the OP states. Isn't the spray a "Detailer"? That said, I'm not sure it should be used in place of buffing out the dried wax that was just applied. Seems like it would thin out the protective wax coating?

Lastly, I think this is just a black tinted wax, so in the end you dont see the "white" of ordinary waxes in the creases and crevices, paint nicks, scrathes, etc. Good idea.

Normally, I use only Meguiers Glaze #7 which is a super fine polish, then Black Magic Liquid Wax as a protective coating. This has worked well for me through the years, but there is always time for improvement! Thanks for the review.

Bob
The spray is a detailing spray. The mfg. recommends a "very light" mist on the awaiting wax. This essentially provides the ability to wipe off the excess, without having to put pressure on the cloth and reintroducing micro-scratches in your new finish. If you put too much spray on, it results in a gummy wipe-off. The very lightest of mistings will result in the excess wiping off with the lightest of touches.

In between applications of wax, the spray works as a nice finishing spray, like Meguiar's Final Inspection, which I have taken quite a liking to.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back