free website stats program For those who have experienced the Electra Glide wobble | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

For those who have experienced the Electra Glide wobble

I think it would have scared me enough to distract me and cause me to fall. What causes the wobble?

The bike is actually flexing while cornering. Gravity and centrifugal forces while cornering are reeking havoc with suspension which causes the wobble....

The bike is actually flexing while cornering. Gravity and centrifugal forces while cornering are reeking havoc with suspension which causes the wobble....

Dude that's insanity. How is it that Harley allowed this to make it to production?

Dude that's insanity. How is it that Harley allowed this to make it to production?

It is what it is. I and just thankful that the dealer explained the characteristics of the wobble, and also the no slow stop with front brake on while turning bars. Because both will put you on the ground.
Actually its not all that bad. Like I said before you can not change what you are doing a the time of wobble, you just ride it out and it stops once you straighten back up.

That is just crazy though. I would probably sell mine immediately after having experienced it for the first time. Wow, my mind is boggled, lol. it's crazy!

My brother's 95 Ultra did it with my skinny 160lb butt on it, especially with my feet on the hiway pegs. He weighed ~275lbs (Ride Forever Free Ace) and said he never had a problem. I also rode an 08 low-mileage Ultra and swear that one would do it out of NOWHERE. Much worse and scarier than in that vid. I tried everything to prevent it, super-light touch on the bars, being as smooth as possible, shifting weight forward/aft. Nothing seemed to help prevent it, other than just going slower to begin with. I found that I could stop it fairly quickly by stabbing the rear brake. That seemed to jolt it back to civility.
I can get my 09 Classic to do it, but I really have to push it (20-30mph over the 08) to make it do so. I do 35mph curves at 50mph no prob on the 09.
On the '09, by the time it starts, it seems that it's much closer to 'the limits'.
It also damps out much quicker.

Yes..but seemed much worse than the vid. on my 2012 Ultra at about 70 in a long sweeping curve with a 55mph curve..it pushed me into the on coming lane..if anyone would have been coming it would have been bad...it was under about 80% throttle.....I never accerate more than normal riding now in a curve..was a very unpleasant feeling...tire pressure was good, shock pressure was good, not loaded down...just what happened to me...

Back