free website stats program for glider or hobbit | Harley Davidson Forums

for glider or hobbit

:wall:wall Hey guys

I was reading the other and I think I was supposed to change the mian jet too! . man I hate when that happends any ways I ordered the 175,180,and a 185 main jet to finish up the job. And just by changing the pilot jet to a 46 made an improvment I guess this will Do the job I am also going to change the throttle slide spring with the screamin eagle spring any feed back on that one will help

thanks john

Do as Hobbit says.

Before you go crazy with re jetting try this...

Quick and easy way of testing the main jet size.

Run the bike through the gears into third gear and run third up to 60-70 MPH full throttle, then chop the throttle about 1/8 to 1/4 back and see if the bike either surges ahead or stumbles then recovers.

If it surges ahead, your jetting is lean
If it stumbles and recovers , your jetting is rich
If it makes no difference, you're pretty close.

thank you I will not do that and as for the 180 I will install it when I recive it so would that explain the slight engine surges while keeping the throttle steady at around 38 and 40 mph in 3rd gear? I guess I should not ride the bike until I take care of this?

Do the procedure in post #3 and it will tell you if you need more or less jetting.

Did you un cap re adjust the idle mixture screw? As you can see the slow jet and the main jet over lap each other so if one is out , it throws everything out.

CVThrottlepositions2.jpg

yes it was unplugged from the dealership and when I screw it in all the way in it does not make any differance with the idle and the same if I turn it out if I look in the hole I noticed that the screw has a slight gouge were the blade would fit looks like the drill bit may have hit it during removal

Generally if it makes no difference either way, the low jet is too big. There's a possibility it's idling too high when you adjust the mixture, that would effect the adjustability here too.
Also if you see the mark from a drill, remove the screw and check the tapered part at the tip to see if it is gouged.

thanks glyder I'll check it out and before I tried to adjust the idle screw I lowered the Idle as much as I could before adjusting it so I think the screw might be damaged
But let check it out first.

When you remove the screw, make sure that all the parts are in there too. There should be a washer, "O" ring and a spring.

Hey Sorry I took some time to respond back !
I was waiting for the main jet to arrive and i did check out the fuel mixture screw and the only thing I found was that the O Ring was sliced and so I went to harley and bought a replacement I changed the main to a 180 and the pilot to a 46 I started the bike and rode it until she was warmed up . I then adjusted the mixture screw in all the way in and she barly idled BUT did not stall so I turned it out to about 2 to 2.5 turns until I could get the best Idle I rode tested the bike and she does not give you the low speed diesel at take off like she use to do. And she is very reponsive in the low ranges I noticed that at 45 to 55 mph. when you excelerate normal I will feel a slight vibration that is noticable to me. You know I am new to harleys So am I looking for somehting that I should not worry about? I am sure there are new characterisics with new pipes and differant jets that will change the way the engine will run and also sound any other advice will be appreiciated

thanks sportyxl06

Back