free website stats program Foot Operated Front Brakes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Foot Operated Front Brakes

well, after some research and alot of good thoughts from yall guys, I believe the way to eliminate the hand brake lever and clutch lever is to use a proportional valve on a dual master cylinder as Glider has pointed out, and use a Left hand twist grip on the handle bars for the clutch. Exile Cycles happens to make a left twist grip already that has a hidden cable that runs inside the bars that they now use on clutches to clean up the bars on some of the bikes they build. That would solve the problem of stopping on an incline and rolling back. I think that if one wanted a suicide clutch and jockey shift the left twist grip could be used to work the front brake if you scratched your head and thought about it awhile. Thanks guys!

You may have finally come up with a good use for ABS! ABS would cover all the bases as far as wieght transfer and road conditions. manual proportioning valves have been used in race cars with good results, but I wouldn't want to be dialing a knob in the middle of a slide. When you find someone to build that custom setup make sure you tell them where to send the check for the idea! LOL

A friend many years ago had twist grip front brake on an old customized BSA, it worked but when I rode it I just could'nt get used to it. Another friend has a thumb brake lever to operate the rear on his race bike, this looks pretty neat and I reckon it could be used for the front on a custom and its an idea i'm currently looking into for my next build.

Manual proportioning valves have been used in race cars with good results,

I was an apprentice on a race team once, and "tuning the brakes" was a process that required skill, nerve, and time on the track. The pros only make it LOOK easy...

If I set up my bike brakes to work on one control, I'd have ABS, ABS and more ABS.

Maybe he could do like the tractors an put a split brake pedal on it. swing one out and back (rear) the other in and forward.

Back