free website stats program Foot Operated Front Brakes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Foot Operated Front Brakes

Thanks Glider, and everyone else. ProF you are right about the magazine bikes. I do ride my bikes. All of them. I have logged over 20,000 miles this year alone on my bikes, so the brake set up would have to be good. And after the dual Bemo brakes on my glide, well, that is going to be some big shoes to fill! The PM brakes on my Big Dog dont hold a light to the brakes on the glide. I have been sitting around thinking.....a bad idea lots of times..... and have wondered about putting a throttle grip on the left bar and tying it in to the front brakes???? am i being hardheaded or just a PITA??? lol

I didn't say your brakes wouldn't work, I was just pointing out that equally balanced braking action between the front and rear will not cover all stopping or slowing conditions. Service station parking lots, rain, sand in intersections, gravel roads, etc. Not all of them take to front brakes very well, especially when turning.
A lot of the old school bobbers I see have nothing but a spool on the front with the best rear brake money can buy. At least it would be predictable.
Another consideration would be your state laws:

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 12 - Equipment of Vehicles
Article Article 6 - Motorcycles
Section 12-608 - Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

The brake system on any motorcycle shall comply with performance ability standard set forth in 49 C.F.R., Section 571.121, and shall be adequate to control the movement of the motorcycle and to stop and hold the motorcycle, including two separate means of applying the brakes. One means shall be effective to apply the brakes to the front wheel, and one means shall be effective to apply the brakes to the rear wheel or wheels.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your ideas, just providing you with some food for thought.

Let me try Doc...

As far as one pedal for the four brakes, the master cylinder in that set up is a dual cylinder inside with two front brakes on one circuit and two rears on the other circuit for safety sake totally independent of each other so if you blow a line, you only loose two brakes vice all four.

On a bike as in most cars they require what is called a proportioning valve to operate the fronts and rears off one pedal which would vary the amount of force/pressure applied to front and rear respectively.
On a bike it wouldn't work out ideally under all situations probably because of the weight transfer being more active than in a car or truck. It could be done but wouldn't be the best IMO under all situations and I wouldn't care to find out the ones where it would be less than ideal.:s

Thanks.....:worthy

.....the master cylinder in that set up is a dual cylinder inside with two front brakes on one circuit and two rears on the other circuit for safety sake totally independent of each other so if you blow a line, you only loose two brakes vice all four......

If you blown a line, you will loose all four, the pedal will goes down to the floor :yes..... but I know what you mean :D.

You could do it. You need to have the right size master cylinder for the rear to run however many calipers you plan on running. There needs to be enough volume of fluid to make them work. You can then get an adjustable proportioning valve to install in the rear line, after the "T" that splits the front and rear. Wilwood makes a nice one. That would allow full pressure to the front and you can reduce it to the rear. Usually the rear gets 40-60% of the power the front has.

I have done this on racecars many times. I am not sure where to get the correct master cylinder, but I am sure Performance Machine can help out.

It is not really unsafe to drive as you can adjust the braking to suit your needs. The problem would be as someone mentioned, with only one master cylinder, if it fails you will lose all of your brakes. The key would be to find someone to make a master cylinder with 2 circuits like a car to have at least some brakes in the event of a failure.

I have seen it done with the front. You just get a dual Master Cylinder and run one front and one rear. I am sure it can be done the same way you want to. Try Wilwood also. They are an excellent source for brake stuff.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. After some more research I found out that BMW and Honda both use the proportional valve set up just like Glider had mentioned. Seems BMW uses the valve to control one front and one rear caliper to break at the same time per application of the brake lever, be it hand or foot. Hand controls one side of calipers and foot controls the other from what I have been told. Honda I think is doing the same on some of their touring bikes. Seems that a 70/30 split seems to be the norm on the set up. I still am kicking around operating the front break with a throttle control and hidden cable on the left grip? might be something to play around with.

Thanks Sheepdog!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 1970's Tony Carlini built Black Bart and did a cam operated actuator which did the 60/40 braking. Again, this was done 30+ years ago, no big deal. The new Honda's have braking where you can just push the rear foot pedal and both ABS brakes will stop. Was not designed to just look good or to eliminate the front lever however.

.....the master cylinder in that set up is a dual cylinder inside with two front brakes on one circuit and two rears on the other circuit for safety sake totally independent of each other so if you blow a line, you only loose two brakes vice all four......

If you blown a line, you will loose all four, the pedal will goes down to the floor :yes..... but I know what you mean :D.

Take a look here.

Figure 7-5.—Dual master cylinder.

Specifically this part...

"Older vehicles used single piston, single reservoir master cylinders that were dangerous. If a fluid leak developed (cracked brake hose, seal damage, or line rupture). a sudden loss of braking ability occurred. Modern vehicles use dual master cylinders. These master cylinders provide an additional safety feature in that should one portion of the brake system fail. the other system will allow the vehicle to maintain some braking ability."

Also this one...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake02.pdf

Under tandem master cylinder 1/4 way down the page.

You may have finially come across a good use for abs! manual proportioning valves are used in race cars with good results, but I think an ABS set up would cover all the bases as far as wieght transfer and road conditions. When you find someone to build that custom set up make sure you tell them where to send the check for the idea!!!!!!! LOL

Back