free website stats program Fog in Fuel Gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Fog in Fuel Gauge

trickydoc

I have owned 2 Ultras, and both gas gauges would fog up when the humidity was up. All the other gauges are ok, just the fuel. Anyone else have this problem. My Ultras were a 97 and now an 01.

Common problem with harleys, mostly speedometers but some have had fogging problems with other gauges too. Not much can be done other than parking it in the sun to dry things up.

I have the same problem on my 01, usually dries up fairly quickly, I was wondering if the seal could be replaced.

yep, as Glider said, not uncommon. I have an '06 E.G.C., fuel gauge fogs as soon as I pull it out of the garage in the morning and it hits the humid air. Thought of a new gasket (or something) myself, but after talking to several mechanics and parts guy's they reassured me it was common, and not a problem.

Now I just consider it a dual gauge: humidity gauge when its clouded, fuel gauge when its not.

When I picked up my 04 Ultra Classic it had a push button fuel door on it. I hit it accidentally and it opened just a bit while I was riding it home (400 miles). The next time I looked at the fuel gauge it was fogged up. I noticed the fuel door and shut it. It took about an hour to clear up but has never fogged up since.

All four of my fairing gauges fog up on my RG, but the speedo and tach so far haven't

Mine too. I asked a service writer about this problem. He said it was typical but should clear in 24 hours. If it didn't it was a warranty issue. They would keep the bike 24 hours to monitor the gauges.

Joe,
From what I understand, it is a typical problem and there isn't much they can do about it. Pretty sad they can't provide sealed units. I never had this problem even on my good old Brit bikes.

My 07 Heritage fogs all the time. after a while the glass has spotted from the inside HD says its not something covered so Im gonna live with it.

Back