free website stats program Foam in oil tank | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Foam in oil tank

You can also boil a pot of water. The water will not go above 212* and test the gauge in that to find out if it is accurate or not. I have a feeling NOT! :s

hmmmmm...great tip! Wondered how I could easily check my dip stick for accuracy.

ride safe

Bill

Forget the Syn 3 even for discussion, it's an overpriced and under performing BLEND and not a real synthetic at all.

The HD360 is the 20/50 and one of the more decent dino oils despite who Harley gets it from.
Many thanks -- GLIDER and JACK - I am gonna visit the HD shop maybe this weekend and pick up some 360 motor oil and filters. I am gonna put syn 75/90 or 75/140 in the tranny. would either of you have a preference for the primary -- the 360 or the Forumla +?

Glider, help out an ole bud here, on this forum, how do I know which post a person is responding too? All I see are the post numbers, but I dont see the number of the post we are responding too? The only way I can tell - is IF the person replying to a post checks off the little box - Quote message in reply? And please tell me IF this is the wrong place to ask those questions.

Bill

Billbo, what I mean is use the dino oil cause it is cheap and available, just get that foamy stuff out of there. And yes Glider also posted the Complete Oil change kit, which uses an extra 32 oz of fresh oil to flush out the system. The kit is about $130, but for those with Softails, access to the two oil hoses is right up front. On my Sportster, the kit is a bit more because of the oil adapter at about $160 or so. But does FLUSH the system, and handy especially for those who have oil coolers (make sure the oil is hot enough to flush it out as well). One of those cases where the manual valve is better than the thermostatic valve...
Thanks NEWHD74FAN (wouldn't Jim or Mack or Wil or something be a lot easier?) SMILING BT here.

I understand your post better now - I apologize here, I am just that way. I tend to take everything anyone says at total face value. I dont think I will go with that scavenger kit right now.

As always, I appreciate all your help.

Bill

Many thanks -- GLIDER and JACK - I am gonna visit the HD shop maybe this weekend and pick up some 360 motor oil and filters. I am gonna put syn 75/90 or 75/140 in the tranny. would either of you have a preference for the primary -- the 360 or the Forumla +?
Bill

HD uses formal + in the bikes when they come out to the dealer.. BOTH in chaincase(clutch) and tranny...

I would not ust the 360 hd ENGINE OIL in the chaincase(just MY opinion)

FORMAL + gets a okay from most people here(tranny and chaincase) IT IS JUST THAT A FULL SYNTHETIC IN TRANNY LIKE SPECTRO OR REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY DOES MUCH BETTER THAN FORMAL+ in the tranny

MY experience with redline shockproof hvg. in my tranny's:

i have used it in ALL my bikes and have had YEARS of trouble free trannys.

recently in a 6 speed conversion from a hd 5 speed, I put over 60,000 miles on the tranny NEVER EVER having ANY metal on magnetic drain plug..

NOW if you are new to the harley game that won't mean much to you.... BUT those in the KNOW would be impressed..... YOU DON"T GET THAT TYPY OF NON-WEAR from a lot of other brands of gear oil.... that's ....PEROID.

You probably WON'T find any of the mods. dispute that lube .

MANY have their own favorites,,, most if not redline use spectro... that gearlube ALSO contains shockproof.

SHOCKPROOF:
DOES NOT ALLOW METAL TO METAL CONTACT...... like others and formal+ do.....
LOTS off reasons why: printed elsewhere here on the site...

YOU can find the BEST lubes USED by the MOST here on the site by reading information on oil.....(hours of reading)
usually SELF HELP answers MOST questions with out taking time to ask a question that gets asked HUNDREDs of times a week... "which oil"
NOT degrading you or YOUR questions at all as I LIKE MANY HERE like to try answering back the ANSWERS.

THAT is called: taking part in the GREATEST FOURM ON THE NET.....

I wouldn't do well as a mod as i find no patience with some of the questions ASKED here on the site... INCLUDING MINE.. YA YA I KNOW.....

The site and the mods are very VERY good about answering ALL questions and MY HAT IS OFF TO THEM............

SIGNED for gliders sake THE BIG SISSY.

Back