free website stats program Flushing gear box with ATF | Harley Davidson Forums

Flushing gear box with ATF

After replacing three of my clutch plates that were disintegrating in the gear box, I now want to "flush" the debris from the tranny. If it were a car's transmission I would drain the gear oil, add a quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid, run it briefly in the driveway, then drain and replace with gear oil. Before I do that on my Sporty, is there anything I should be aware of? Or, comments such as "dude that's a bad idea because....." would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kerosene, or Marvel Mystery oil would work
I used both with good results:D

I see no harm. I would raise the rear wheel and go through the gears to make sure the ATF gets splashed all around in there. Then refill with a quality trans.fluid for Sportsters.

>Do you know what caused the clutch plates to disintegrate?

I guess just mileage and relatively hard use. I purchased it new in 06 and it has 40K miles on it now. Most of my riding has been commuting to work and back on a two lane twisty road that I know really well.

It was the center spring plate that was coming apart. A couple of rivets were sheared and a few small broken pieces were loose. The two friction plates on either side of it were toast but the rest of the plates were fine.

Thanks for the advice guys. Good to know about the alternatives of using Kerosene or Marvel Mystery Oil. I have a couple quarts of ATF that will otherwise never get used, so I'll go ahead with that. Will definitely run it through the gears too.

I use atf as a flush too. Usually in my cars engine just before an oil change. I add 1 liter of ATF bring it to temp then drain all the oil out. Got an "89" mx6T with just under 350k on it and never been rebuilt and a 2014 audi I do it to as well and all's good so far. Old diesel mechanics trick!!

350K, wow! That is good to hear. A mechanic friend - way back when - mentioned that he used it to clean his hands after getting all greasy. Lots of detergents in that stuff it seems.

Back