free website stats program Flushing crankcase of old oil during change, in softails | Harley Davidson Forums

Flushing crankcase of old oil during change, in softails

leeanders

Just curious, I'll be changing the fluids for the first time in my FLSTF, before long. I've read that once the oil tank is completely drained and the oil filter is removed, there remains at least 14 to 16 ozs of old oil in the crank.

How many of you flush out that oil? Or is it routine to just refill the oil tank and allow the old stuff to mix in with the new oil?

If you flush it out, what process do you use?

Will appreciate any information on this subject.

Thanks.

if you can have all clean oil, for just a few min more ,why not ? i do it every time

my thoughts are just drain the oil tank refill replace the filter with a HD filter
now i change my oil every 2k some go much further ,if thats the case do a total oil change

my thoughts are just drain the oil tank refill replace the filter with a HD filter
now i change my oil every 2k some go much further ,if thats the case do a total oil change

Seems fair. I run it out to the full 5K so the oil is quite a bit darker
at that point.

Dave

i flush my oil tank with kerosene in a small bug sprayer and then refill with oil and run engine without filter until i see clean oil coming out ,shut off and install new filter,done deal. mine's an evo though, don't think you can run the twinkie without a filter, i think you would stave the engine for oil.

Back