Flushing crankcase of old oil during change, in softails

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by leeanders, Mar 4, 2013.

1. leeanders

leeanders Member

Just curious, I'll be changing the fluids for the first time in my FLSTF, before long. I've read that once the oil tank is completely drained and the oil filter is removed, there remains at least 14 to 16 ozs of old oil in the crank.

How many of you flush out that oil? Or is it routine to just refill the oil tank and allow the old stuff to mix in with the new oil?

If you flush it out, what process do you use?

Will appreciate any information on this subject.

Thanks.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Some swear by the need for a total oil change and others (like myself) don't see the need. Here's one tip from the self help area, there are more, click the tab at top left of page, and look for "oil tips".
    http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/t-46306.html

3. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

4. PA 58

PA 58 Active Member

if you can have all clean oil, for just a few min more ,why not ? i do it every time

5. Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave Active Member

6. HOLY DIVER

HOLY DIVER Junior Member

my thoughts are just drain the oil tank refill replace the filter with a HD filter
    now i change my oil every 2k some go much further ,if thats the case do a total oil change

7. Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave Active Member

Seems fair. I run it out to the full 5K so the oil is quite a bit darker
    at that point.

Dave

8. hardheaded

hardheaded Member

i flush my oil tank with kerosene in a small bug sprayer and then refill with oil and run engine without filter until i see clean oil coming out ,shut off and install new filter,done deal. mine's an evo though, don't think you can run the twinkie without a filter, i think you would stave the engine for oil.