free website stats program Fluids update | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluids update

bradp

Hi Guy's/ Gals.
I see a lot of posts on the oils debate. This is a little info for the undecided.
I have an 09 FLHRC. I change engine oil every 5 to 6k. I put Mobil1 Vtwin in the engine, formula + in the primary and spectro 6 speed in the tranny after the first service. I put 17,000 kilometers on this summer and changed the fluids today in preparation for the winter. Engine/Tranny oil looked great and the mag on the drain plug was absolutely clean. Primary had a small amount on the plug but that was to be expected. These products are worth searching for and are worth every cent. IMO.
Thank to Glider for his recommendations.

The magnet tells the story of how good the oil is. When you find literally nothing, that's the oil you want to be using.

You have a winning choice there with your oils.

Thats what I use but at less miles. I change at 2500 to 3000 depending how I got there.
2007 classic and the magnets are always clean.

Hi Guy's/ Gals.
I see a lot of posts on the oils debate. This is a little info for the undecided.
I have an 09 FLHRC. I change engine oil every 5 to 6k. I put Mobil1 Vtwin in the engine, formula + in the primary and spectro 6 speed in the tranny after the first service. I put 17,000 kilometers on this summer and changed the fluids today in preparation for the winter. Engine/Tranny oil looked great and the mag on the drain plug was absolutely clean. Primary had a small amount on the plug but that was to be expected. These products are worth searching for and are worth every cent. IMO.
Thank to Glider for his recommendations.
How does the oil look after 5 to 6 k , I change every 2500 to 3K and it still seems very clean

I ran Redline till I tried Spectro and stayed with Spectro. Redline is a good lube but the Spectro is better I feel.

I believe there isn't a better ol then Spectro full syn for the tranny , I am sure glider will agree!!

I absolutely agree and for no other reason than I have tried others and they don't perform as well as the Spectro does.

I just dropped the stock tranny fluid in my new glide and replaced it with the spectro 6. Rode it a little bit but didn't really notice that all that much had changed in the mile or so that I had rode it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but draining the ENGINE oil and it looking "Great" only says what a Great job the oil filter is doing. The HD Super Premium 5 oil filter will filter particles to 5 microns. I think just looking at the oil without centrifuging a sample of it does not tell you very much. Peeling open the oil filter and examining the filter paper would tell you a whole lot more in my opinion.

Hoop!

Back