free website stats program Fluids on 77 FXE | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluids on 77 FXE

I would stick with H D 50 or 60 in a Shovel and yes changing to synthetic after a lot of miles could cause leaks a clean film of oil makes a seal on gaskets and sealing surfaces switching to a synthetic now could set u up for leaks. I have seen this in automotive apps every day I turn wrenches for a living I know what works and doesnt. Synthetic oil is by far a better oil but I would not switch on a high mileage machine without a rebuild first

I always ran Amsoil 60 wt. oil in my shovels, and I sealed the primary and put about a pint of oil in it. Any of better brand synthetics are good. But I would run 60wt. in the motor.

I would stick with H D 50 or 60 in a Shovel and yes changing to synthetic after a lot of miles could cause leaks a clean film of oil makes a seal on gaskets and sealing surfaces switching to a synthetic now could set u up for leaks. I have seen this in automotive apps every day I turn wrenches for a living I know what works and doesnt. Synthetic oil is by far a better oil but I would not switch on a high mileage machine without a rebuild first

He may have some leaks now. But, the change to synth will not effect it that much. The sealing system on the shovels is much different then anything newer generation. If the cylinders, bases and lower end cases are not leaking, they won't after the change... I've also run everything from HD, Shell, Shell Aero, Castrol, Havoline and Pennsoil products in mine and had no problems. Here in Florida, I run 70 wt in the heat of summer, 60 wt in the spring and fall, and 50 wt in the winter. The trans works just fine with whatever weight is in the engine.

Remember, this is a Shovelhead, not a car. They are tougher than you think.

SledDog, I know what you mean about shovels being tough.I only have about 2300 miles on a complete overhaul so I did not think switching to syn would be a problem. Maybe after next winter when I take it to a 93 incher I will go to syn after break-in. Until then will stick with the 60 I have been running.Thanks to you and all the others for your .02!

Back