free website stats program Fluids on 77 FXE | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluids on 77 FXE

Polarbear

Getting ready to change fluids in my 77FXE. Anyone out there have suggestions as for weight and brand I should run in it. I hear you guys talking about Spectra and Red Line, but is it ok for an old petroleum based bike like this? Any ideas will be appreciated!

Probably best to stay with the dino based oils you have been using. The synthetics will possibly cause a leak when it cleans out the engine and the older seals aren't the same as the newer ones.

I ran Amsoil 60wt. in all my shovels and never had any leaks, besides, synthetic does not cause oil leaks worn or bad gaskets will leak though, I would say as long as you run a reputable oil you will be fine.

HD 60 wt in both holes... Are you running a sealed primary? Or is the oil pump still supplying oil to the primary?

Before draining the primary, put it on a stand, or have some one hold it upright. Take off the derby cover and check the fluid level. This way you'll have an idea where you have to fill it with oil. You'll need some where around 36 to 40 ounces.

Back