free website stats program Fluids In All 3 Holes | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluids In All 3 Holes

franka

After reading hundreds of post about which is the best fluid for oil, tranny and primary I'm still confused. Currently I'm using Castrol 20/50 oil but should I be using Mobil 1? Spectro 6 goes in my tranny, I think it's the best? For primary I've stayed with HD, is there one better?
Please rank your top choices only for each hole.

Amsoil in all three 20-50, fantastic oil filters too. I am probably going to an Amsoil gearlube for gear box next change.

After reading hundreds of post about which is the best fluid for oil, tranny and primary I'm still confused. Currently I'm using Castrol 20/50 oil but should I be using Mobil 1? Spectro 6 goes in my tranny, I think it's the best? For primary I've stayed with HD, is there one better?
Please rank your top choices only for each hole.

Franka,

Nothing wrong with Formal+ in the chain case (primary) IF by saying HD, that is what you mean.. It is a good oil for there. And it Does work fine in the tranny also but there are Better Gear Oils for that...

Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 for an engine either..

I see Castrol Does make a V-Twin FULL synthetic for the engine..
Now I would go for that IF you like Castrol... Or is that what you are using?(fully synthetic?)

I used Castrol non synthetic oil for many years in my OTHER stuff and Never had it let me down but in my Harleys, I Only want the FULL protection that Full synthetics Do provide!

That said: I use only Redline products but that is My choice.

They offer Three different Redlines that I buy for my TC :

Redline 20/50 for the engine (blue label)

MTL for the primary (yellow label and wet clutch approved)

Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil in the tranny..
Never Ever Metal on Tranny Magnetic Plug!

signed....BUBBIE

I use

Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 in engine
HD Formula+ in the primary
Spectro 6speed in the transmission

I tried Mobil 1 75/140 in the transmission and it was better than Formula+ but I think Spectro is better yet. The only problem with Spectro is limited availability. You can order it on-line but finding some place that stocks it is iffy... Probably more of an issue for me - I don't tend to plan ahead :D

Amsoil in all three 20-50, fantastic oil filters too. I am probably going to an Amsoil gearlube for gear box next change.

Not the ideal configuration. This is better:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 Vtwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic GL-5 rated 75W140 or higher gear lube
Primary: fit-for-purpose wet clutch, chaincase lube like Formula +, Spectro Primary, Red Line Primary.

TQ

Tranny: FULL synthetic GL-5 rated 75W140 or higher gear lube

IMO, "higher" is a real mistake! Higher viscosity is definitely not better. Right viscosity for the purpose is the key. Good article in recent AIM on the very topic.

While HD does not publish viscosity on its dino transmission oil, general belief is that it is about 75W90. I've been using Spectro 6 (75W140) and recently had the first motion shaft self destruct after 17.5K mile. HD tech felt that the lubricant was the culprit.

IMO, "higher" is a real mistake! Higher viscosity is definitely not better. Right viscosity for the purpose is the key. Good article in recent AIM on the very topic.

While HD does not publish viscosity on its dino transmission oil, general belief is that it is about 75W90. I've been using Spectro 6 (75W140) and recently had the first motion shaft self destruct after 17.5K mile. HD tech felt that the lubricant was the culprit.

Of course he did. Check out the polls here. Bunch of folks using the 75W140 wt. GL-5 gear lube.

Trans Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community

Did you use anything other than Spectro 6 in the tranny at any time? How long did you ride the bike to "break it in" before changing to the Spectro?

Red Line Heavy Shockproof claim "film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250". Some of the guys here swear by it.

So do your own research and use what makes sense to you.

TQ

Of course he did. Check out the polls here. Bunch of folks using the 75W140 wt. GL-5 gear lube.

Trans Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community

Did you use anything other than Spectro 6 in the tranny at any time? How long did you ride the bike to "break it in" before changing to the Spectro?

Red Line Heavy Shockproof claim "film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250". Some of the guys here swear by it.

So do your own research and use what makes sense to you.

TQ

Yep, that's why I used the Spectro for the first 17.5K miles...but, that's before I realized it was a different viscosity. I do use Mobile-1 vTwin in the engine. That's the same viscosity as manf. recommendations. I'm not saying I'm a slave to HD fluids...but, I do think that viscosity recommendations are important considerations.

Back