free website stats program Fluid Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid Question

AndyRK

for my first diy tranny fluid change since I bought my 05 Road King last year, I bought Lucas 85/140. I did alot of reading since its my first time, many others were mentioned. Other recommendations I came across were Mobil 1 75/90 or 75/140. These were my only choices at the store I was at anyways, so I got the thicker one. I havent done the fluid change yet, and decided to check the lucas website to compare the one I got to anything else they may have. The one I bought is the "Heavy Duty Gear Oil" 85w-140 and it has a picture of a 18wheeler on the front, it doesnt say synthetic. But their website has a synthetic gear oil 75w-140, which would be better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of those two, the synthetic 75W-140 would be my choice. That being said, I used RedLine Heavy Shockproof 75W-140, trans shifts great. I'm sure you will get other tips on different oils. Check out the tranny oil section for the many different choices.
wilks3
:USA

Thanks for the quick reply... I did hear about RedLine also but I might have to buy that online, and I probably will since I see that I dont even have the correct allen wrench for the trannys dipstick, so the job is cancelled for today.

well, I returned the Lucas oil which had a heavy weight but wasnt synthetic and I bought the Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic only to return it for the 75w140 which is supposed to do better in hot climates (im in south FL). I did all my fluids today with the forementioned oil in the tranny and Mobil 1 20W50 V-twin in my crank and primary. It got late and I have to wait till tomorrow to refill to level after a quick warmup ride, Ill post if I notice any difference in performance later. Although I dont know what my bike had in it before, but since I bought from HD dealer it might have had syn3 in all holes which is was they recommended when I went to them for my new oil filter and o-rings. Thanks for the help.. im new here but it looks like Ill be using these forums often with such gurus at hand :D

Back