free website stats program Fluid Levels? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid Levels?

So where is the "sweetspot" for fluid levels in the motor, tranny, and primary? Is it better to be a little underfilled in all three or a little overfilled? From my personal experience I do know the motor should be a little underfilled or you might have it puking through the air filter, but what about the tranny and primary? Problems/benefits with being too much or too little? :eam

Here goes:
transmission drain it fill it with exact amount Hd says in your case 1 quart close it up done unless you have a leak your good to go for 20K
Primary drain it fill it with exact amount Hd says for your bike close it up unless it leaks good to go for 10K
Engine cold about half way up better a small amount low than over full.
Check cold just to make sure your safe start ride check hot for proper level.

Over full primary may make N hard to get
Over full engine oil can foam up and will not lube p[arts as it should oil needs to splash
Tran over full it does not lube as well and can blow seals out
Smitty - I just love the way you say things here. No messin' around - to the point.
Like Jack says " Nuff Said"

I appreciate it
Bill

Smitty - I just love the way you say things here. No messin' around - to the point.
Like Jack says " Nuff Said"

I appreciate it
Bill

Thanks Bill, NUFF SAID LOL how are you?:p

Simplicity works, whether new owner of a Harley or even a cage doing service the first time. It is always important to have proper specifications and capacities for the intended service. As Smitty related, personal experience plays a big part of what works best. :D

Heck, maybe we should send Smitty to Washington. Could you just imagine what it would be like if we got a direct, precise, no bull answer from a politician?

SMITTY FOR PRESIDENT !!!!

Agree with Smitty...

I just changed all the oils on my 09 FLHR last night..

I put in 3 quarts of oil into the engine oil tank, filled Dry oil filter to threads and let sit a few minutes to absorb oil, then put on filter... NOW IF I didn't use any more oil than that,,,,,, the bike would be just fine,,,, Start and check for leak at filter,None.

I will warm it HOT out for a ride at "that level" (1/2 on dip-stick) THEN i will add to a proper FULL Level (tad bit lower than full on the dip-stick---1/8" lower min.)

Out of 4 quarts,,,I will have 1/2 a quart or a little more left when it is properly FULL..

the tranny, 32oz. and like smitty says.. put on the cap!

on the primary,,,,,, 40 oz. added is exactly where it should be at the clutch ring and derby cover installed.(.)

Done....

signed....BUBBIE

I'm simply amazed at the amount of information, explanations and attention to detail provided on this forum. What a great group of folks to be associated with!

I'm simply amazed at the amount of information, explanations and attention to detail provided on this forum. What a great group of folks to be associated with!

Thats why we are all here:p Thank You for the kind words, Capital Jack

Back