free website stats program fluid change intervals? | Harley Davidson Forums

fluid change intervals?

09 deluxe

How often do you change....
1. engine oil. (using synthetic)
2. primary oil
3. transmission (using synthetic 75/90 or spectro 75/140)

thanks for you help

I agree with Smitty, but the key here is when you have a new bike, you are not able to "fortell" your usage, so the 1st change of fluids is important to be done early...! If buying used, you do not know how the bike was ultimately treated, so again 1st change of fluids should be done early. After that, the maintenance regimen recommended by the OEM is a good guideline based on your use. Many change more often because of experience and because it is "cheap" insurance (for DIYers anyway) and inside of $100 dollars...your ride, you decide.:s

I personally believe the fluid change schedules in the Owner's Manual are the MAXIMUM mileage between fluid change under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions would be a constant light load under dust free, fairly dry humidity and constant mild temperatures. Since none of us ride in conditions like that, I change MY oil, transmission gear lube, and primary chaincase fluid more frequently. About every 3k miles for all three. I also change my plugs then too.

TQ

Wasteing money= out the window, changing all 3 holes every 1000 miles. The way I see it, if you don't fill your filter with oil when you change your oil and filter, when you start it the motor is not getting oil until the filter is full and if you fill it , oil runs all over the place. Point is every time you change the oil you have a dry start right after. If the oil hasn't been overheated it should be ok for 4000 to 5000 miles no problem. JMO

No reason in the world to change any more oftem than your service requirements. These numbers are for newer TC not older bikes.
Engine 5K
Primary 10K
Transmission 20K

But for some reason a lot change it at half that there a some that change oil every 1000 miles. IMO big waste of time and money.
I racked up the miles to prove it

+ me!(was gona say +1 but many others beat me to it! :p)

Back