fluid change intervals?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by 09 deluxe, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 09 deluxe

09 deluxe Member

How often do you change....
    1. engine oil. (using synthetic)
    2. primary oil
    3. transmission (using synthetic 75/90 or spectro 75/140)

thanks for you help

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

I agree with Smitty, but the key here is when you have a new bike, you are not able to "fortell" your usage, so the 1st change of fluids is important to be done early...! If buying used, you do not know how the bike was ultimately treated, so again 1st change of fluids should be done early. After that, the maintenance regimen recommended by the OEM is a good guideline based on your use. Many change more often because of experience and because it is "cheap" insurance (for DIYers anyway) and inside of $100 dollars...your ride, you decide.:s

3. km@c

km@c Member

I agree with Smitty but I change all 3 holes every 5k.

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I personally believe the fluid change schedules in the Owner's Manual are the MAXIMUM mileage between fluid change under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions would be a constant light load under dust free, fairly dry humidity and constant mild temperatures. Since none of us ride in conditions like that, I change MY oil, transmission gear lube, and primary chaincase fluid more frequently. About every 3k miles for all three. I also change my plugs then too.

TQ

5. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

Some like to throw money out the window:bigsmiley6:

6. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

? huh ?

7. hammerhead pat

hammerhead pat Active Member

Per the manuals' recommendations!

8. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

Wasteing money= out the window, changing all 3 holes every 1000 miles. The way I see it, if you don't fill your filter with oil when you change your oil and filter, when you start it the motor is not getting oil until the filter is full and if you fill it , oil runs all over the place. Point is every time you change the oil you have a dry start right after. If the oil hasn't been overheated it should be ok for 4000 to 5000 miles no problem. JMO

9. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

+ me!(was gona say +1 but many others beat me to it! :p)

10. harleydogg

harleydogg Member

I always change mine before the book says to .