free website stats program Fluid change before storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid change before storage

Redman

I always change my Oil and filter and put in fresh before storage as a rule of thumb but was wondering if I should swap out the redline from the primary and the spectro platinum out of the tranny too as they still both have significant life left. Just curious what you all do. I have all the other routines down for storage but was looking for input on this particular thought...thanks for your help.:s

I always put fresh fluids in the bike before storage, then before riding season starts I always put fresh oil in, I also start my bike during the winter storage also since it is not a full blown storage, I keep my bike ready to ride at any given time. JMO

I think the engine oil would have more harmful contaminants than the tranny and primary.I would just change the engine oil.

I change all fluids for storage (engine, tranny & primary) to get the contaminants, acids, etc. out. When spring comes around...hit the starter & go.

I always change my Oil and filter and put in fresh before storage as a rule of thumb but was wondering if I should swap out the redline from the primary and the spectro platinum out of the tranny too as they still both have significant life left. Just curious what you all do. I have all the other routines down for storage but was looking for input on this particular thought...thanks for your help.:s

Engine oil = definitely change before storage
Primary fluid = good idea to change it
Tranny lube = probably get by without changing. No combustion or other contaminates in that.

I always put fresh fluids in the bike before storage, then before riding season starts I always put fresh oil in, I also start my bike during the winter storage also since it is not a full blown storage, I keep my bike ready to ride at any given time. JMO

I would suggest NOT starting your bike during your "storage period" unless you can ride it long enough to get the engine oil up to operating temp for a half hour or more. This means whatever time it take to get the oil hot, and then 30 minutes more minimum. You need to drive any condensing water out of the oil before shutting it down. If this is not done, the combustion products will react with the water forming acids. Better to NOT start it than to start it and run it "for a few minutes" (especially at idle).

TQ

Back