free website stats program flstc 2012 check spokes before riding | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

flstc 2012 check spokes before riding

Re: flstc 2012 check spokes before rideing

I've had the same problem on my 2012 FLSTC. It began as a wobble at around 700 miles. Took it to the shop, where they found loose spokes on the rear wheel. The wheel was worn to the point where it had to be replaced.

:small3d031: Well I hope the warranty covered the wheel replacement..

Which wheels are you having problems with, the regular standard wheels or the laced white walls?

I also had this happen on a 2007 flstc two weeks ago,bike has 7k miles and was serviced at a dealer at PDI,1k,5k.Took to a independent and half of spokes were loose,Had them to install new tire and HD nine spoke rim on rear.I don't trust dealers or that spoke rim.Feel better/sleep better now.Found a good independent bike shop.Problem solved.By the way,bike was purchased at one dealer and 1k and 5k was at another dealer.I don't want another experience at 70mph!:newsmile055:

Which wheels are you having problems with, the regular standard wheels or the laced white walls?

I have the standard laced wheels (blackwall) with tube and at the 1000 mi service specifically asked that they be checked, double checked, and then checked again. Service manager told me that they checked them all and had to make NO adjustment at all. I check them myself every now and then and nothing feels loose and no wobling so, as of now, I have no worries! At the first sign of trouble I will have, at a minimum, the rear wheel replaced with a 5 or 9 spoke wheel. :newsmile093:

A guy I work with has a 2012 FLSTC with the white walls (tubeless)and was the first to warn me of this loose spoke phenonomen, because during his first service, the dealership (same as I go to), found that his spokes were loose. So, not sure if this is a trend or not. I really don't see how it would make that much difference...a spoke is a spoke, right?

A guy I work with has a 2012 FLSTC with the white walls (tubeless)and was the first to warn me of this loose spoke phenonomen, because during his first service, the dealership (same as I go to), found that his spokes were loose. So, not sure if this is a trend or not. I really don't see how it would make that much difference...a spoke is a spoke, right?

Interesting point softail41. Maybe with the extra layer for the whitewall sidewall is a bit stiffer and causing flex to go to spokes instead of sidewall absorbing flex while moving.....:33:
Hopefully the Members who have had this problem will chime in..

My buddy has a 2012 Heritage and experienced the same problem where the bike would get a wobble and squirly feeling only under deceleration. With about 400 miles on it, he took it to the dealer he bought it from (Yankee, Bristol, CT.) and was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Not satisfied, he went to Gengras in E. Hartford, CT. and the tech road tested it, confirmed there was an issue with the spokes not seating properly, and ordered new front and rear wheels and replaced them both under warranty. Problem is gone...........seems like this is a common and serious issue that the Moco needs to stand up to and address.

Find another dealer if possible in your area.

I never thought of checking my spokes out to see if I have any loose ones. I just got back into he house after playing a nice box wrench melody on the spokes of my 04 heritage with no flat tones.
Thanks folx..I feel safer now cause at 60 mph nothing good can come out something that could have been prevented.

I just rented a 2012 Heritage Softail this past weekend. The bike had 10 miles on it. Before I traveled 200 miles, I noticed something was wrong. Over 60 mph the bike would wobble and shake when I let off the throttle. I thought it might be just the cross winds. The next day, I felt the same thing without any wind. BUT now it happening as I reduced speed from over 40mph. I pulled over into the nearest service station and we discovered that the rear wheel had play in it. We jacked it up and could shake the rear wheel 1/2 inch in either direction. I had it towed to the nearest Harley Dealer (Performance HD in Syracuse NY) and they assesed that the rear spokes had come loose.

The dealer I rented it from said it came like that from factory and that they don't tighten spokes on new bikes but check it a 1000 mile service.

I spoke to one HD rider who thinks it might be a result of them going to a tubeless tire on the spoked wheels.

In the meantime, I recommend that you check your spokes on new bikes immediately and often; after every 100 miles.

Ride Safe

I just rented a 2012 Heritage Softail this past weekend. The bike had 10 miles on it. Before I traveled 200 miles, I noticed something was wrong. Over 60 mph the bike would wobble and shake when I let off the throttle. I thought it might be just the cross winds. The next day, I felt the same thing without any wind. BUT now it happening as I reduced speed from over 40mph. I pulled over into the nearest service station and we discovered that the rear wheel had play in it. We jacked it up and could shake the rear wheel 1/2 inch in either direction. I had it towed to the nearest Harley Dealer (Performance HD in Syracuse NY) and they assesed that the rear spokes had come loose.

The dealer I rented it from said it came like that from factory and that they don't tighten spokes on new bikes but check it a 1000 mile service.

I spoke to one HD rider who thinks it might be a result of them going to a tubeless tire on the spoked wheels.

In the meantime, I recommend that you check your spokes on new bikes immediately and often; after every 100 miles.

Ride Safe

Now I know why I got rid of my stock spoke wheels and replaced them with alloy. I got rid of my spoke wheels to get rid of the tubes. This is obviously another very good reason.

same here on my 2011 heritage all the spokes on my rear have came loose ,felt like the rear of bike was all over road or i had a flat

Back