free website stats program flstc 2012 check spokes before riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

flstc 2012 check spokes before riding

Re: flstc 2012 check spokes before rideing

one month old , first time in shop 100miles, sec.time 300miles, third time 500miles spokes falling out?

Ask service manager with dealer principal present, who is going to pay bill when wheel collapses and all the resulting damage, when failure is do to it being faulty work of dealer. The spokes are to be 100% at PDI and then checked as part of 1,000 mile service and you can not even make it that far. And if that does not get you any where, contact financial institution that loan is with and discuss how you have not received what you paid for. A safe and reliable motorcycle that you can ride confidently. And have bank contact dealer principal. Bet that will work. Very poor dealer. :newsmile055:

Last week, I rented a 2012 FLSTC in Metairie Louisiana (to ride to Florida). I went less than a mile and returned to the dealer because the bike oscillated (I should have used a simpler word like wobbled, because the rental guy apparently didn't understand me). He rode the bike and said he didn't feel anything wrong, but checked and filled the tires anyway and rode it again.

I assumed I was wrong about the bike (I'm not that experienced a rider, maybe 10k mi in the last two years), or that all the 2012s had a bad ride (I rented a 2011 last year that rode great). I got to Alabama and a guy in a pickup honked and yelled out his window "you know your bike is wobbling?" So I finally had confirmation that I was right!!!!! To make a long story shorter, a dealer in Mobile AL (Mobile Bay H-D was excellent!) immediately felt the the spokes on both wheels. The spokes on the back wheel were so loose that they rattled. They tightened them, trued the wheel, and checked the hub for damage.

I get back to the Metairie LA dealer yesterday, and the rental guy (who also is the head of the service department, it turns out) admitted that the biggest problem with new FLSTC's in the last few months has been loose spokes. My rental bike had about 800 miles before I rode it.

So it sounds like this is an ongoing problem that had not been fixed by the manufacturer. Another recall issue? Good luck.

P.S. what is PDI?

P.S. what is PDI?

"pre delivery inspection " that dealer is supposed to do to make sure all is running ,tightened to safe standard before customer rides off into sunset with the hope nothing is gonna thow him/her onto the black stuff

No two dealers are the same. I regret having to move soon, because I dont know if I will get the same type of service where im heading. My service dept is awesome at Harley Haven. I had spoke issues 2 weeks ago and they knew what the problem was just by my telling them what I was feeling. Fixed within an hour and back on the road. Go to an independent shop if you have to to get your spokes fixed. Then find anew dealer. Spokes can kill if not done right.

I regret having to move soon, because I dont know if I will get the same type of service where im heading.

Hopefully you can use the resources available on this forum and find yourself another good, trustworthy shop or dealer.

Unfortunately for many Harley owners, they may not have the luxury (or option) of finding another Harley dealer because there may not be another one within several hundred miles. This alone makes some of these dealers very cockie and too independent because they know they're the only one "in town".

Where I live (in Metro NY area), I have the luxury of picking my dealer; there are at least three within 10-20 miles. If one is bad try the other. And lets face it, each one has it's own reputation; good and bad. And we are losing one of those dealerships; they are going out of business. Can you believe it? A Harley dealership biting the dust. Could it be bad service? Only their service departments and sales department knows for sure!

So now we have one less to choose from. Still leaving me with at least two that are nearby to choose from. Whew!

I went for a ride this weekend and noticed that my bike has the same problem when i let off throttle, front end wobble on my 2012 Heritage. It's going to the dealer for the first service 2/15 & to get it checked out. :(:(:(

If you can get the wheels off the ground, use an open end wrench and tap each spoke. You should hear a ring and not a dull thud. Do each spoke individualy. If they are loose you should not ride untill they are tightened.

I just checked the spokes on my 2012 Heritage with my hand and guess what they were loose on the rear wheel I only have 950 miles on the bike :(:(.

I've had the same problem on my 2012 FLSTC. It began as a wobble at around 700 miles. Took it to the shop, where they found loose spokes on the rear wheel. The wheel was worn to the point where it had to be replaced.

Back