free website stats program FLRHC Reeks | Harley Davidson Forums

FLRHC Reeks

ALCORS11

I have a 2009 road king classic with 4,000 miles. After parking it in my garage from good run a few weeks ago, I notice a very strong odor of gas coming from my bike. There are no signs of dripping fuel any ware on the bike, could it be a filter issue. The bike runs great otherwise and has no mods, i.e. aftermarket exhaust, fuel management packs, etc. Want to see if anyone one else has this problem, before I take it to the dealer.

There's been others with this same odor problem but nobody has discovered where it is coming from. Unlikely it's the filter for the system because it's located in the tank. It takes very little in the way of leakage to give you a gas odor in an enclosed area.

I have never had a gasoline smell ,but occasionally I will get a hot gear lube smell when I put it away after a hard run.

Did you "top off" the tank just prior to parking it? If so, likely the gas in the tank got warm sitting above the heated engine and expanded just enough to make use of the overflow system. Should be harmless.

Just make sure the "closed system" fuel venting system is indeed closed. The filler cap is screwed on with o-ring seal...the venting holes/tube should be visible as is the plumbing to the charcoal cannister with all hoses intact. Also remember EFI means your fuel lines are pressurized, so even the tiniest amount of seepage will be suspect.

Stand corrected...but seeing so many states going to cats, non vented systems for oil and gas in these "regulated times" it is hard thinking and living in California...with virtually year 'round riding.

Cats are something different. The newer bikes have them either in the pipes or muffler. The way of the future.

Back