free website stats program Floating Disks | Harley Davidson Forums

Floating Disks

Turk55

I have a set of full floating break disks on my 01 Night Train they seem a little loose, any way to tighten them? While ridding they are making a lot of noise.

Some discs can have the rivets replaced but i would check with the manufacturer first about yours.

It depends on the way they mount and how long they have been on the bike, # of miles etc. Floating disks have to float to work properly although I'm not sure why one would have them on a cruiser as they are mostly found on sport bikes with multi piston calipers. They are designed to help elminate warping under continuious heavy braking.

My last BMW had floating disks & you could move them back and forth on their pins. That was completely normal and it would take a lot of miles before the pins had to be replaced.

You might want to check the manufacture's site & see what they have to say about wear etc.

cycleman11 pretty much hit the nail on the head. It does seem kind of weird that someone put floating disk on a touring bike. That type of disk is very expensive and like cycleman11 said designed for racing bikes (sport bikes) with multiple pistons the reason the disk floats is to prevent binding. Should you wish to repair or replace the pins please ensure you have someone who has worked with these types of disks before as improper maintence can easily cause serious injury or even death.

Floating disks have to float to work properly although I'm not sure why one would have them on a cruiser as they are mostly found on sport bikes with multi piston calipers.

I've used them on an older road king when the stock rotor warped as a replacement. There's a lot of weight on a touring bike and it can heat the rotors up pretty good on a hard stop from speed.
They also come standard on SE bikes.

P9110038.jpg

On my Buell the brake rotor will rattle because the mounting hardware is loose but everything works well. It is just another delightful sound that we all enjoy.
Ken

Like Glider, I replaced my rotors (2000-up type) when they warped from normal use - whatever that is; I ride fairly inspired also on my old sled.

I got these from EBC together with mathcing pads.
1. They are not particularly expensive
2. The braking power and feel is greatly improved
3. IMO, they look good with the chromed centre part...
4. They don't rattle (like some other floaters do)

Front wheel .jpg

Back