free website stats program Flhx vibration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Flhx vibration

Also clutch hub could take a lot of abuse as well as chain and main shaft:D

Jack, Great point & that is true.

Something the OP may be able to supply.....
The frequency of a vibration that was clutch hub related would be at a much lower frequency than a vibration that was at crank RPM. While riding the bike, when the vibration was at or near peak resonance, you may be able to look at the tach and make a mental synchronization of engine speed to the vibration that was being felt at the time. If they happen to feel "in sync" with each other, you would know it was engine related. The ratio from crank to clutch basket is so dramatic (at least 2 to 1) it should be possible to distinguish between the two while riding the bike.

I have never had this exact problem but I bet you would be able to distinguish between the two just from the difference of vibration since the ratio between crank to basket is so large.

If you can't get your dealer to bite, do you have any mechanically inclined buddies in your posse that could take a ride on it and see what their feedback is - or - maybe see if you can find an indy and ask them to take it for a test ride and see what their response is. A "qualified" 2nd opinion suggesting that you do have something amiss may give you more confidence to be a bit more aggressive with your HD dealer. If they still don't bite, maybe call the mothership and state you've had a qualified 2nd opinion that there is something not right, but yet you can't get your HD shop to take a genuine interest in addressing the issue. See if you can pull the MOCO into the loop - Good luck. These HD's have so many shakes and rattles that I seriously question "my" ability to lock onto an early warning sign of pending problems.

I have not downshifted into 1st or 2nd gear at a high speed. The only exhaust mod was a SE slip on nightstick muffler. That was done at 200 miles and the vibration started at about 1500 miles. I have another question and maybe this is normal but if you put your heel against the shifter arm does it vibrate like a massager. I never really paid attention to it until I started feeling it in the floor boards. And again this will go away if I pull in the clutch.

If you can't get your dealer to bite, do you have any mechanically inclined buddies in your posse that could take a ride on it and see what their feedback is - or - maybe see if you can find an indy and ask them to take it for a test ride and see what their response is. A "qualified" 2nd opinion suggesting that you do have something amiss may give you more confidence to be a bit more aggressive with your HD dealer. If they still don't bite, maybe call the mothership and state you've had a qualified 2nd opinion that there is something not right, but yet you can't get your HD shop to take a genuine interest in addressing the issue. See if you can pull the MOCO into the loop - Good luck. These HD's have so many shakes and rattles that I seriously question "my" ability to lock onto an early warning sign of pending problems.
To TRVLR. I have one better than that, I work at a car dealership and one of our techs used to work at the Harley dealer that I purchased from and took to for the problem. He has ridden the bike and can feel it. I think I am going to have to become the nightmare customer to get them to actualy take some action

Last edited by a moderator:
And again this will go away if I pull in the clutch.

He has ridden the bike and can feel it. I think I am going to have to become the nightmare customer to get them to actualy take some action

My thoughts from your statements:

I would think it to be a way-out of tolerance Crank.... You may Have to ask for a Factory Tech to look at it...... HD has Moved there tolerance to a magic false number that will allow a pretty bad shake on the TC motors,,, Not Right but that is the way it is......

good luck at finding the problem and More than Likely it IS the crank out of sink and Hoping it is WAY out when it is checked so you get it fixed by HD....

If it were mine I would take it out and do some High revs and compression down shifts to see if it get Worse..... Hopefully it would...

signed....BUBBIE

I bet you would be able to distinguish between the two just from the difference of vibration since the ratio between crank to basket is so large.

Maybe not after all. I was looking at some pictures of the primary chain, compensator & basket and the ratio does not look as big as I thought.

Never counted the teeth but it looks like a ratio of maybe 1 : 1.4 (?)

Next time I have the primary cover off I will count the teeth on the basket.

Unless it was a ratio of 2:1 or greater, it would be hard to decipher by feel.

So forget that idea!:)

Sounds like the same issue I have on my 09 Ultra.At around 60 mph in 5th gear when you roll on the throttle I can feel a different feeling come into the floorboards.Bought the bike in May and it was in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks of the first month for this issue.They never could find the problem so I've been riding it and it is getting worse.If you find the problem sure would like to know what it is.

I have the same problem with my 2009 electra glide started at 5000 miles. would love to talk to anyone that has a solution. We have tried everything, crank run out, comp, rear pully. The next thing will be the main shaft transmission bearing. Anyone have any results for this issue?

Will a scissored crank show in a crank run out test? or could it still be within harley spec?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never did Hear back IF these problems were found.. Many would like an up-date and might save others problems down the road....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Never did Hear back IF these problems were found.. Many would like an up-date and might save others problems down the road....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Agree...would like to know the outcome, or dealer's diagnosis & if it was corrected???

Back