free website stats program FLHX Owners Stock Exhaust Headers | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHX Owners Stock Exhaust Headers

Sadist112

I am new to the forum so I apologize if this question was already raised.

I am also new to HDs and am thinking about buying a 2008/2009 Street Glide. I looked at them last night and overall very impressed. I have read numerous articles online about their handling and functionality and have only read about some misc concerns, (i.e. the bike can shutter at high speeds when maneuvering do to the swing arm being attached to the rubber engine mounts, which i understand there is a fix)

However, my only concern after looking at the bike is that portions of the front exhaust header are not covered by shrouds/heat shields. Which would lead me to believe after time the yellowing of the exhaust header would be easily seem through the gaps in the chrome heat shields.

Have any owners with stock pipes experienced this? Also while I'm at it any other general concerns?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

(i.e. the bike can shutter at high speeds when maneuvering do to the swing arm being attached to the rubber engine mounts, which i understand there is a fix)

However, my only concern after looking at the bike is that portions of the front exhaust header are not covered by shrouds/heat shields. Which would lead me to believe after time the yellowing of the exhaust header would be easily seem through the gaps in the chrome heat shields.

Phil

The bagger swing arms are attached to the frames unlike the dyna line, they are the ones that are attached to the rear of the trans which is in turn mounted to the rubber mounted engine.

As far as the discoloring, Kuryakyn sells a shield for about $30 and also HD sells a full coverage one for about $75 to cover up the portion that is exposed that turns gold and blue.

About the yellow collor, I think you can find out what will happen on the stock pipes in the following pic:

On my side: any concern so far (besides the fixable rear suspension swing).

Yeah thats what I thought I guess it doesn't look all that bad. I'll probably end up swapping out the pipes for different ones anyway. Thanks!

Yeah thats what I thought I guess it doesn't look all that bad. I'll probably end up swapping out the pipes for different ones anyway. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you will change those pipes (I do the rineharts); anyway consider the options that our Guru Glider is talking about.

Cheers,

My 07 Street Glide rides like a dream, no handling issues at all, minus the "searching" on grooved pavemnet from the dunlop tires. Don't really notice the gold/blueing. Good luck.

Sadist, the Street Glide is an awesome machine. You will really enjoy it. My 08 Street Glide is my first Harley, and rides great.

Haven't noticed any significant shake or swing in almost 6K miles. Will occasionally get the feeling of a low rear tire, but that's pretty easy to verify. I noticed it once on an 07 rental I tried, but that was going 75 and passing a large truck. Figured a lot of it was attributable to the buffeting from the truck. As for the discoloration, mine has a small area on the front header, just below the edge of one of the heat shields. It bothered me when I first saw it, but I really don't notice it anymore. If it did, I would try one of the products on the market that is supposed to clean/cover it up.

Only problem I've had with mine is the fuel filter cannister breaking. This is a known problem with the 08 touring bikes manufactured before 1/08. No recall on it, but Harley replaces it for free if it does break with a redesigned unit.

hear alot of this about every HD ever built I have a 2007 Rg and have not had one problem with it.
It does not shake , wobble or shutter up to 105 mph as fast as I have gone on it.
!8,000 miles right now and it handels great .
Go ride one see for your self. I wonder were this stuff comes from.
6 other harleys just left my house non eof them seem to have any of these problems.
As for pipes discoloring a bit , well it is a big VTWIN AIR COOLED engine

Yeah I heard ya, The couple of articles I read were speaking more to the fact that at highway speeds if you need to maneuver your way out of a situation the bike can sometimes shutter and take a couple of feet (20-50) to clam down, or to regain complete control. I guess I'll have to see. I haven't ridden one yet so can't validate this claim. I know that my current bike (2006 Kawa Mean Streak 1600) I can ride that as hard as possible and it is like a rock. Which is one aspect I am going to miss. The sure physics of the touring bikes can't compare to my Mean Streak's (or any sport cruiser) performance capabilities as far as handling, which I am fully aware of. Everything has a trade off I guess. At least with the Street Glide I can smoke my cigars while riding which I am definitely looking forward too.

Although, I will miss dusting V-rods off the lights!!

I went with the Electra Glide opposed to the Street Glide because I didn't need the stereo and it was a couple grand cheaper. It has more ground clearence and my wife likes the seat oh so much better. I push my bike pretty hard sometimes and I've felt the bagger wobble but never like some writers have played it up. Now older HD touring bikes with the cleve blocks in the swingarm would get worn out and they were dangerous. That situation could be cured with replacing the worn bushings either with stock or newer alternatives. Newer bikes don't have the old style cleve blocks. You'll probably never experience bagger wobble but if you do the problem is supposidely taken care of in the 09s and 07 08s can be fixed for 300 to 400 bucks. Don't try smoking your stogies with that short SG windshield either, it'll blast back in your face.

Yeah I heard ya, The couple of articles I read were speaking more to the fact that at highway speeds if you need to maneuver your way out of a situation the bike can sometimes shutter and take a couple of feet (20-50) to clam down, or to regain complete control. I guess I'll have to see. I haven't ridden one yet so can't validate this claim. I know that my current bike (2006 Kawa Mean Streak 1600) I can ride that as hard as possible and it is like a rock. Which is one aspect I am going to miss. The sure physics of the touring bikes can't compare to my Mean Streak's (or any sport cruiser) performance capabilities as far as handling, which I am fully aware of. Everything has a trade off I guess. At least with the Street Glide I can smoke my cigars while riding which I am definitely looking forward too.

Although, I will miss dusting V-rods off the lights!!

I'm not sure about your Kawi but my wife has a VTX1800 and that thing handles like a truck next to my Ultra. The Ultra has a smaller front tire than most of the Metric Sport Cruisers. It makes for a much crisper turn in. My Valkyrie also had the fat fron tire. I've nver missed anything but the speed of those bikes and I'm getting old enough that the speed isn't such a big deal.

Other than the rear end thing which I have remedied by adding the Missing Link, this bike handles great. Very light on its feet.

Back