free website stats program FLHX high end ticking sound... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHX high end ticking sound...

Could also be your injectors ticking more mine does it too ,, sounds just like lifters but it's not cause usually a lifter starts to make noise it never goes away higher rpm equals more oil pressure and oil fills lifters ,, it is probably in the high 3000 and up rpm range you hear it ,,

The first thing I did was check the fluid levels when I heard the noise after my service - my Sporty used a lot of oil and would make a loud tick sound when the levels were low but this isn't the same tick sound. The bike doesn't make the noise when it's not moving - I can rev the engine, in neutral, and no ticking sound. I'm so glad I posted as everyone has been great with the advice - I will be looking into all of it and telling the dealer what I need! You all ROCK!

the ticking noise is coming from a broken fairing bracket
/ remove outer fairing and look at the small brackets/ both sides
/ going to the bottom of the speaker / they have been updated with a much stronger bracket / replace both sides . Oh buy the way mine sounded like a ticking noise also while riding . warranty ? recall ? cheap fix good luck

That noise always bugged me on my 07 EG. I always used Amsoil 20W-50 in the engine. I changed to Mobil V-Twin 20W-50 3000kms ago and the ticking noise is really subdued now. Just did a 2600km/ 5 day trip and barely noticed it.

careful of that ticking noise - my '08 FLXH had a slight tick that got worse with 22,000+ miles - ended up being the compensator was loose - and a known problem for the bike - and could be a BIG MESS if left as is! Luckily still covered under warranty - as was the starter that got replaced right after the compensator spring!! Anyone else know of any other WARRANTY RECALL issues with this bike so i can get it all replaced before my warranty runs out? LOL!!

careful of that ticking noise - my '08 FLXH had a slight tick that got worse with 22,000+ miles - ended up being the compensator was loose - and a known problem for the bike - and could be a BIG MESS if left as is! Luckily still covered under warranty - as was the starter that got replaced right after the compensator spring!! Anyone else know of any other WARRANTY RECALL issues with this bike so i can get it all replaced before my warranty runs out? LOL!!

Love that user name!

When I asked the service guy about mine ticking cruising down the street he said to buy different mufflers. Got to love them service guys & that they all do that.

here is what was the cause of my ticking valve train sound. my mechanic has worked on harleys for thirty five years and has several contacts with other harley dealer tecks. come to find out the 96 engine has some ridculous tolerences on rocker arm end play like 6 thou to 16 thou took mine apart it was any where from 13 to 18 thou shimmed up the end play to proper lower tolerance o6 thou engine is quiet .he has done several all with same result.

Back