free website stats program FLHX high end ticking sound... | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHX high end ticking sound...

Darmon

My bike has 8,850 km and since it's 8,000 km service (oil change only) I've noticed a strange ticking sound. It seems to be a "high end" ticking sound - for example I hear the "bottom" end of the engine (which sounds the same) then I hear the fast ticking sound around my fuel tank. What would that be - valves? The service dept didn't notice what I was talking about and pretty much said it was all in my head however, I know my bike was not making that noise prior to the service. It's frustrating being female and having guys tell you that you're imagining the sound!!!

Thanks for the info - it's cheap to buy so it's worth the investment! Hopefully a lifter would be covered under my warranty so I'm going back to the dealer to ask them about that. The other thing I forgot to mention was the noise only occurs when the bike is moving (in all gears) - it doesn't make the sound when it's at an idle.

Thanks for the info - it's cheap to buy so it's worth the investment! Hopefully a lifter would be covered under my warranty so I'm going back to the dealer to ask them about that. The other thing I forgot to mention was the noise only occurs when the bike is moving (in all gears) - it doesn't make the sound when it's at an idle.

First thing I would suggest is changing out the fluids in your engine, tranny, primary replacing the filter with a new HD engine oil filter (HD recommended filter). Follow the following with respect to your fluids:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Now the whole "just a girl" thing is NOT recognized here. We have many capable women on this site that maintain and even rebuild or do major modifications on their beasts! Do a search for Catwoman or Joyflyin and see for yourself.

If the fluids do not do the trick, put the bike on a lift getting at least one of the wheels off the ground at a time. Rotate that wheel so that it is turning fairly fast and listen for the noise. Anything. If not, raise the other wheel and repeat. With the rear, the tranny will have to be in neutral.

If you do not hear the noise with those procedures, but the noise is still there after changing the fluids, let us know.

TQ

Now my bikes a little bit older with a few more miles, but I had a ticking sound in the rear jug. I took it to 3 different mechanics and everybody told me the same thing, runs great real strong. Ride it. So I did. Then it started getting louder (took like a year, and about 5k miles.) Then it sounded like lifters to me. New different mechanic thought it sounded like piston slap. When it was all said and done, my rear exhaust valve was sticking in the exhaust valve guide. When it was seated you had to beat it out with a hammer. I just got it back today. The only thing we could think is just running to dang hot. It got new rings and a hone, 4 new lifters (feuling), valve job, valve seals, bored the exhaust guides out an extra thousandth, 2 new exhaust valves and a power commander. The inside of the the cam chest was beautiful. Pistons looker great and not really any carbon build up on the heads or pistons. Run it today around town and on the interstate and it runs a little cooler (got up to 244F in city traffic) and runs good. So be mindful of the ticking...

does it make the sound when stationary and you rev the engine? When you say it does it in gear going down the road, have you tried pulling in the clutch and see if you can hear it. At first to me it sounds like a lifter too. I hoped you checked the oil level after they changed it. I hate to say it, but I don't have a lot of confidence in mechanics (if that's what you call them) at dealers anymore, I call them part's changers, they don't seem to care too much and tell you to just ride the heck out of it. Well, yes, it's a new bike and you have a two year warranty, but why make it worse, you know you're bike and the sounds it makes. Good luck and don't take any (EDIT) from any dealer, if you're not happy, tell them you plan on calling the MOCO directly. Keep us posted. Best T

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought. After riding the bike, let it cool a bit (so the pipes are still hot, but touchable) and then snug up the nuts on the exhaust flanges.

Also, you might try adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas when you fill it at a mixture of 2 oz. MMO to 5 gals. of gas. This will clean/lubricate stuff that only gas gets to. See here:

Marvel Mystery Oil - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Check the lower 2 allen head bolts that connect the exhaust to the tranny. My 09 FLHR had the same "lifter" noise. I tightened them, noise gone. Lifter noise at 8K miles? I doubt that...

Back