free website stats program FLHTK Fuel Mileage Excel Calculator | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTK Fuel Mileage Excel Calculator

My gauge reads on E, yet my r value will show about 60 or 70 miles. The guage on my Limited makes it to half when I still show a 120 miles left in the r value. I just went down to the lo indicator coming on for the first time. I believe it came on when r value dipped below 10 miles. Put 5.7 gallons in at 281 miles, which only averaged 31 mpg. Not too good. This was half city and half highway. I did 39 mpg once on a total highway trip. Part of the poor mileage is my fault testing those Monster Ovals and Power Duels. Also usually cruise at 75-80.

Ment to say 181 miles on the trip odometer not 281, when I put the 5.7 in. I wish it were that high. After reading all the posts, it sounds like all the FLHTK guages are behaving the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds like all the FLHTK guages are behaving the same way.

Not just the FL's. My FX is just as bad. When the speedo shows 10 miles to "E", I really have 1.4 gallons left in the tank. Did the whole fill and drain procedure along with measured volume. Bottom line is the accuracy is all over the map.

On top of that the odometer is off by 5% which makes my MPG also inaccurate.

On my FLHTK which doesn't have 1000 mikes on it yet, we went for a 140 mile ride today and got 44.2 MPG. The fuel gauge is not accurate, showing empty when I have 2 gallons left. But the digital "r" mileage meter on the speedo seems to be about right.

My 08 Ultra does the same thing as yours. R is very accurate, but gauge is empty and lots of gas left.

As others have said always use your mileage not the gauges. I just fuel up anywhere between 180 and 200 miles all the time

I too get 38 mpg

I got tired of my bike showing "E" when I still had over 1.5 gallons left in the tank. I took it back to the delaer and they tore it apart, emptied the tank and put 3 gallons in it. They adjust (bent) the fuel sender arm to reflect 1/2 tank and now it seems to work fine. When I get to about 180 miles, I am now on "E". The range indicator shows about 40 miles and then shortly after the low gas warning light comes on. It still doesn't get any better mileage than before though. At least now I can look at the guage and know when I am going to run out without having to always check the trip meter.

Excellent! That is what should have been done. You have a decent dealer there. My dealer told me there wasn't anything to be done about the analog fuel gauge. I don't want to burn any bridges, so I'll keep an eye on the "R" meter.

Back