free website stats program FLHTK Fuel Mileage Excel Calculator | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTK Fuel Mileage Excel Calculator

I think fuel cools the pump in tank so when it under 1/2 ill stop & fill up. around town 230 out of 6 gal. on hwy i get 270 6 gal . that's w/ my r. said;s. yes it varies on 93 i would take float out & bend rod never did get spot on.

I have a 2010 FLHTK also with a cleaner, new head pipe, slip ons and a PCV. I have a range of about 230 miles on average right now. The worst I have seen is slightly more than 200 but that was when we were riding pretty hard.

I am averaging 40 MPH with over 5k on my FLHTK. However, this drops off considerably if I am running over 70 MPH. The gas gauge is not accurate. I use my trip mileage and fill as close to 200 miles as possible. Trip A is re-set at each fill up. I guess the MOCO made the six gallon tank to keep the fuel range close to days of old before the EPA choked engines. Hopefully the fuel mileage will improve as I get more miles on the bike. It is the fun factor that counts and I am at a full smile when riding.

I've got over 2500 miles ( in less than 5 weeks ) on my 2010 ultra.I too noticed the fuel gauge being off.When I get down to E,I'll still have 75 or 80 miles remaining.This weekend I actually ran it down to see if the R was close.When I left the house it said I had 38 miles remaining.Before I got to town (about 7 miles ),it said 25 miles and then it went to "LOW".Pasted a couple more stations before filling up.I wasn't as brave as I thought I was,or maybe I'm smarter than I thought.Anyway filled up at 5.1 gallons, right at 200 miles.If you run that thing out of gas,you meant to do it.Just fill up after it gets to E and you'll be OK.Even if its a ways to the next station.

I am not sure of the amount/percentage, but I wonder how much is impacted by the fuel density. I would think that a motorcycle may have more variability since the fuel tank is so exposed to heat from the sun and from the engine. Perhaps this also impacts the number of miles you get per gallon since a gallon of volume may have more or less "energy" due to the density changing from temperature.

I'm sure there are a ton of things that effect gas mileage. Many experts have written about those facts. Just from the list that I can remember, altitude, winds, road conditions, motorcycle condition, load (weight) on bike just to name a few. Besides the accuracy of the guages, I'm really interested in what my bike can do after taking data from 10 consecutive fill-ups. I'm really interested to know the MPGs and the standard deviation of the MPGs. Of-course, I won't do a complete set of 10 fill-ups until my bike comes back from the dealer for the second time, working this time.

I just got a call from the dealer. The dealer said that they contacted the MoCo. The MoCo said to replace the sending unit in the tank. The dealer said that after replacing the sending unit that they want to put mileage on the bike and see how the analog and 'R' value gauges perform. I'll let folks know how it works out when I get the bike back from the dealer and do at least three fill-ups.

I wasn't trying to disparage your record keeping. I thought I was making a cute remark but if you took it differently I apologize. Sometimes it look different in print.

Have fun and be safe.

No problem. Ride safe.

On Friday I went through 3 tanks of fuel for the sake of riding (and a day away from work).

Tank #1 157.8 miles on 4.864 gal = 32.5 MPG, overall average speed 61 MPH
Tank #2 161.9 miles on 4.539 gal = 35.7 MPG, overall average speed 62 MPH
Tank #3 206.3 miles on 5.181 gal = 40 MPG, overall average speed 66 MPH

You will see that on any given day, and any given tank of fuel, the MPG can vary greatly. I contribute most of this fluctuation to the wind, which was ~ 15 MPH out of the WNW, which caused a direct headwind for all of tank #1 and 1/2 of tank #2. It also became a tailwind for the second half of the ride. I set my cruise control on 74 MPH by the GPS (~78 MPH on the speedo) for most of the trip, except for some populated areas, and one strech of 20 mile 2-lane on the last tank. My bike has averaged 37.2 MPG over the life of it.

It's nice to keep track of your tank to tank mpg in an organized fasion so you have a good idea what your bike usually does, and how it behaves under differing conditions. I like to ride tank to tank, so this is even more relevant to me, but should be something everyone tracks to help record the health of your ride. It's also nice to know even when you're puttering around in the middle of nowhere and decide to fuel up in a one-horse town, only to find that they only sell 85 octane gas. Do you have the range to make it to the next town? I could tell you that my decision wouldn't be a guess.

I'll take a calculated risk over a WAG anytime. Maybe you can help fix our federal financial budget problems.

BTW, bully for you for getting a GPS. :ap

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the sender unit inside the tank and the gauge replaced. I would be at about half tank based on what it took to fill it back up, but my low fuel light would be on and the gauge would still be at full. Now with things replaced my gauge hits E while I still have about 1/3 tank left. I can live with that. r reading seems to be fairly close. My ride is an '09 FLHTC and with 3500 kilometres (about 2100 miles) I'm finally up to about 50 Imperial mpg (41.5 US mpg). Hoping it will get better because my '07 got almost 10 mpg more.

I pretty much find everything being said here is exactly what I'm experiencing. I have about 3200 miles on the TK with just a stage 1 air cleaner, tuner and some Rineharts and it's been dyno'd twice. I run about 40 mpg average and after 125 miles the gauge is on "E" and "r" is showing about 115 left.

I got curious about two tanks ago and ran the "r" down to 10 and the low fuel light had been on for a good 30 miles. When I filled the tank it took about 5.3 gals. I have noticed though, on the new tank that even when it's filled to the lower ring in the neck, if you're using a slower fill dispenser, you can still stick another 1/2 gallon or so in the tank.

None of the analog gauages on any of the Harley's I've ever had were ever accurate; but this one is probably the worst!

rode 316 miles wed, gassed up twice 2.4 g - & 3.3 g = 55.4 mpg a big difference, than in town ridding where i get 32 winter 40 summer. secondery rds 55-70 keep rpms at 2.8-3 k..

I had the sender unit inside the tank and the gauge replaced. I would be at about half tank based on what it took to fill it back up, but my low fuel light would be on and the gauge would still be at full. Now with things replaced my gauge hits E while I still have about 1/3 tank left. I can live with that. r reading seems to be fairly close. My ride is an '09 FLHTC and with 3500 kilometres (about 2100 miles) I'm finally up to about 50 Imperial mpg (41.5 US mpg). Hoping it will get better because my '07 got almost 10 mpg more.
My 2010 FLHTK has only 600 miles on it. I was shocked that the analog fuel gauge was on "E" when I had 2 gallons left. so my "e" really means one third tank remaining. That puts my bike right in line with user dbinbc. I haven't tested out the "r" factor yet.
I do appreciate this subject thread as I figured I was the only one with a goofy fuel gauge.

On Friday I went through 3 tanks of fuel for the sake of riding (and a day away from work).

Tank #1 157.8 miles on 4.864 gal = 32.5 MPG, overall average speed 61 MPH
Tank #2 161.9 miles on 4.539 gal = 35.7 MPG, overall average speed 62 MPH
Tank #3 206.3 miles on 5.181 gal = 40 MPG, overall average speed 66 MPH

74 MPH by the GPS (~78 MPH on the speedo)

Months back just for fun I wanted to see how accurate the odometer was on my bike and I was very surprised it was off by nearly 5%. When I checked mine, I found that I only needed to travel ~5000 ft for the odometer to register exactly 1 mile. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up. Based on 40 miles per gallon, that is 2 miles. (really getting about 38)...

Just 1 more thing to think about.

Back