free website stats program FLHTK Fuel Mileage Excel Calculator | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTK Fuel Mileage Excel Calculator

gsparesa

Those of you that own a 2010 FLHTK (Ultra Limited):

My Limited averages ~39 miles per gallon of gasoline. The fuel tank on the Limited has a 6 gallon rating. The range on my Limited is therefore ~234 miles. After riding ~117 miles from a full tank of gasoline, the needle in the analog fuel meter should be near or on the tenth (10) hash mark ( 1/2 tank) and the "R" or remaining miles should be displaying ~117 miles.

The analog fuel meter on my Limited was on the zero (0) hash mark (Empty) after traveling 150 miles. I didn't have a problem with the "R" value. In fact, I found that the "R" value to be relatively accurate. I sent my Limited to the dealer in hopes of correcting the inaccuracy of the analog fuel meter. Unfortunately, not only did the analog fuel meters accuracy not get corrected but my "R" value is now also inaccurate.

How does your2010 FLHTK analog and "R" fuel gauges perform? How many mpg's does you FLHTK produce? Use the hyperlink to get yourself a copy of the FLHTK fuel calculator. Input your data on your next fill-up. The calculator is an Excel spread sheet.

Gsparesa, sounds like you have to do the old fashioned, fill to the neck, ride a hundred miles or so (if over city and highway miles combined), refill to the neck and calculate "average this city/highway reading"... dividing miles by gallons used and DON'T rely on the fuel guage only for now.

On my Sporty, the worst case extremes are 35mpg City (4 miles to and from work every day), and best case Highway 49.5mpg (fill-up to fill-up 70m/h on interstate). So with my carburated bike and 4.2 gal tank (3.7 to reserve), I have had the sputter telling me to go to reserve in 100 miles and 178 miles respectively, give or take. Do I want to push based on an inaccurate or questionable guage reading?...NOPE...! Do yourself a favor, and run sans guage and use mileage as your guide. Then you won't mentally aggrevate over a guage reading so much. Later you can bend the tang or adjust float height for fuel guage calbiration! JMO...just enjoy the ride...always time for "wrenching" later.

Last edited:
There have been times where I've forgotten (old age) to reset my trip-odometer. Not a big deal when traveling with others but may be a problem when I travel alone. After paying > $30,000 USD for my ride, I want everything to work as advertised. It's just the way I am. If it doesn't work , then why have the dang thing on your bike?

I like to check the mileage when I fill up but then I forget it unless there is quite a change. I just like to ride mostly.

I use to keep all kinds of records but now that I am older I forget what I did with them or why I wanted them.:)

I like to check the mileage when I fill up but then I forget it unless there is quite a change. I just like to ride mostly.

I use to keep all kinds of records but now that I am older I forget what I did with them or why I wanted them.:)

I hope you never run out of fuel or luck.

It seems like after I refill the calculator pretty much says I have a 200 mile range. The most I gave gotten before I am on "E" is about 130 miles or so. The best fuel mileage I have gotten is 33 MPG, so I just plan on gassing up shortly after 100 miles. Also when my gauge shows I am on "E", I have never put more than 4.3 gallons of gas in the tank. Since the tank is supposed to hold 6 gallons, I would have to agree with you that both the gauge and calculator are pretty inaccurate.

I hope you never run out of fuel or luck.

I wasn't trying to disparage your record keeping. I thought I was making a cute remark but if you took it differently I apologize. Sometimes it look different in print.

Have fun and be safe.

My FLHTK has 2,000 mi. I just did the mileage check after a 170 mi trip on fwy, stop n go, and canyons. Got 37 mpg. have had 39 on long fwy trip. Yep, gas gauge says "E" with r = 100+. I filled up at r=48 and it took 4.8 gal. but on the Ultra (K) I fill squeezing softly until the pump clicks off. No "topping off" like I do on the RK. That's my story, as I get more miles on her, I'll experiment a bit to see how accurate the "r" is. The analog gauges are not that great.
WAP.gif

I've gotten to where the light comes on and the remaining miles shows 36 miles. But as I travel 3 miles down the road the remaining miles will show 25. Oh oh it's time to find fuel now cause you can't count on the remaining miles display.

I am not sure of the amount/percentage, but I wonder how much is impacted by the fuel density. I would think that a motorcycle may have more variability since the fuel tank is so exposed to heat from the sun and from the engine. Perhaps this also impacts the number of miles you get per gallon since a gallon of volume may have more or less "energy" due to the density changing from temperature.

I would think a gas gauge could be made to work reliably and in this day and age you would think is is something that could be achieved. But with only a relatively small volume of fuel, perhaps the variability from driving style and overall temperature make a comparison of mpg a difficult target to hit.

I try to go based on milege, but I am am afraid of running out of fuel just because I think it is bad for the fuel pump in my 07. I would rather fuel up early and often just because...

Back