free website stats program FLHTCU Unstable in hard cornering | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTCU Unstable in hard cornering

The recommended tire pressure will depend on the tire manufacturer, not the Rider's Guide that came with the bike (OEM puts Dunlops on the bike and the RG guide is for those tires).

Definitely go to the tire manufacturers Motorcycle tire page and get the recommended cold tire pressure for YOUR bike and riding configuration.

If you are using N2 in your tires, then you may need an extra few psi, since the nitrogen will not expand as much as air.

Cheers,

TQ

Two long but very informative threads on the bagger "wobble". Agreed that first things to check are that suspension, tire pressure, suspension components, motor mounts, alignment etc. are all within factory tolerances but even so, many baggers will exhibit this wobble in a long high speed sweeper. Mine did but since I replaced the rubber donuts at the swing arm, no more. Sykes Performance now offers a very simple Drive Train Stabilizer that works and is a more cost effective fix than the other stabilizer fixes currently available. The main problem is that our beloved baggers have a "hinge" between in the frame; that is the source of the wobble.

If you have the time, go through these two threads and you will learn a lot about the issue, causes and remedies.:D

How do the bagger stabilizers work?

Does your bagger handle like a drunken camel in a sand storm?

A point of clarification: I'm pretty sure that the new '09 and up frames have a different (higher) air pressure recommendation for the rear shocks than older bikes.

09 and later Ultras will take up to 50 psi in the shocks. With a 245 pound rider plus gear on board, 45 psi in the shocks shouldn't cause a problem. I suspect some new tires and running about 38psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear will improve handling quite a bit. That's what I run my tires at with 30 psi in the shocks and I've never had a wobble problem with my 09. Even running the Lolo Pass which I've done about 4 times.

I run pretty close to the TP Jeff stated and have never run the shocks as high as the OP. Along with the amount of load did the OP make sure the load was balanced and that most of the load was in the bags and not high up in the tour pack? Jeff you run like you want and "Chicken Strips" be darned!

I have progressive springs in my forks. I also have new-ish swing arm bushings and I run my rear shocks a shade on the stiff side. My old 1988 FLHTC tracks straight. I have noticed different handling characteristics for different brand tires. The Dunlop HD 402s were great in a straight line. Pretty much everything else has been less great in a straight line but better in the curves.

Ditto on the 36 and 41. In my 08 egc I ran about 15 lbs in the shocks, 1 up. I did have a little wobble a couple of times, but I was usually heading into a curve a little fast and there were irregularities in the pavement, but on my 11 eguc I run 25 in the shocks and I have never felt any wobble or shake. Compared to the 08 it corners great.

Back