free website stats program flhtc tranny problems | Harley Davidson Forums

flhtc tranny problems

doc2nd2

2 weeks ago I hit a deer primarily on the left side of my bike, bending up the fender, crash guard and knocking the bike out of gear. I'm fine, protected from Above, didnt go down. However, within 400 miles and 3 days later my tranny cratered. Just going down the road it came out of gear and started making this awfull grinding noise and would not shift into gear. HOG roadside assistance towed it back to the house (thanks HOG) and I began tearing things down. Here is where I get some confusion, and if there is anything I have learned in life it is "ask questions before you really mess things up" and "learn from others mistakes because you will never live long enough to make them all yourself".
1, does the compensator nut come off by turning it to the left or right
2, same question for the clutch assy
and 3, does a wedge of wood work good to keep the compensator assy from rotating while trying to remove it?
I cannot help but wonder if part of the shifter mechanism was damaged by the impact. BTW the deer died very quickly and the trip to Lukenbach was a success.

Not sure if things have changed in the primary from your '91 to my '08. On my bike, the compensator bolt is a normal, "righty tighty" and the clutch is opposite - clockwise to loosen it.

I bought the specific primary locking tool but anything you can fashion to hold the system from rotating while you work on the bolts should be fine.

There is a good chance that a shift fork may be bent. I strongly recommend getting a Genuine Service manual before you tear into that box. "The money you save may be your Own"

Deer are so Stupid.. Someone needs to come up with a way of mounting headlights & a horn to the top of a bullet. They would be so much easier to hit & Kill.

There is a good chance that a shift fork may be bent. I strongly recommend getting a Genuine Service manual before you tear into that box. "The money you save may be your Own"

Deer are so Stupid.. Someone needs to come up with a way of mounting headlights & a horn to the top of a bullet. They would be so much easier to hit & Kill.

I like it:p

Wood may work for you but it is entirely to soft and the teeth on the sprockets will chew it up, and youll have wood in your primary . youll be better off with the correct tool.

See the below image I originally posted on the thread: Another Compensator Installation Question - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Community

7750d1283995371-another_compensator_installation_question-photo_1_6.jpg

A socket and extension will work fine.

Compensator nut comes off like any normal nut but the clutch hub nut is the oposite way
Componstor nut is held on with red loctite so you will need to heat it prior to removal as it may have been on there for a long time it will want to stay there so you will need a 2ft breaker bar and perhaps an extension for it just to get enough torque on the nut to get it off
so you may need assistance to hold the bike steady while you apply all that turning power
i have used wood in the past to lock things up but it may fall apart under all the strain
get the correct service manual for your bike

Brian

Componstor nut is held on with red loctite so you will need to heat it prior to removal as it may have been on there for a long time

Be very careful if you do this, or you will be replacing the stator (and possibly the rotor as well). Excessive heat can, and will, loosen the magnets inside the rotor (don't ask me how I know :small3d023:). I'd try without heat first, and resort to the torch as an absolute final effort.

You can use an impact wrench for the removal of the nuts on the compensator and the clutch. Do not use it for reinstalling the nuts.
I would not use a torch, to many bad things can happen.
Also if your '91 is the same as my '92 flhtc was you will need a special tool to remove the clutch pressure plate, don't try to pry the snap ring out without the tool the plate will break, I know from experience. As previous replies have stated, get a service manual before you start, its a good investment.

Back