free website stats program FLHRS shutting off | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHRS shutting off

tyedye1010

07' FLHRS w/EFI, 14,000mi, V&H pipes w/Fuelpak, I always use 93 octane gas with 1/2 ounce of HD gas treatment per tank (thanks ethenol).
Now the problem, 2 weeks ago when starting on a warm afternoon it made a lot of popping and felt like it wanted to shut off. I revved throttle several times until it warmed up then problem stopped after a couple more pops when going through the gears the first time. The gas was not old, only about 1 week in the tank.
This weekend topped off tank w/2 gallons of fresh gas, started fine, got 5 houses from home and it popped, seemed to be missing , then shut off altogether. Wouldn't restart then nor on Sunday.
Checked plugs they're black but no oil or white on 'em. I know plugs aren't the problem, but something fouled them after 4 months. Anyone else run into this?
Thinking about checking the codes on my fuelpak tonite? Maybe the codes can get screwed up? Or maybe drain the gas (bad gas still happen?), fuel injector cleaner? Replacing plug wires? Just shooting in the dark before I have to pay local HD $90 an hour to diagnose.

Just because the gas in YOUR tank is only a week old, there's a possibility that the station tank had old gas in it or possibly water etc.

I would start with a complete drain of the tank followed by a flush with some fresh gas and a new tank of fuel from a different station and see what that nets you. Don't be looking to rebuild things until you eliminate the fuel as a source first. How long after you got the last tank of fuel did this start?

See this post for how to remove the fuel line or completely remove the tank and make sure it's done right...

Fuel Line Disconnect - Harley Davidson Community

This reminds me of a time we filled up at an amaco years ago our bikes wouldnt start bad gas

Thanks for the reply. It started a few days after gas-up. I rode about 20 miles on the tank one day w/no problems, then 2 days later was when it happened in the afternoon leaving work. That morning coming to work it was fine.

Seems like i keep having my share of bad gas also, put so called fresh 93 octane in concrete saws and generators ,only to have them quit as soon as the 'new gas' worked its way to the carbs. I run seafoam in the RK Custom religiously,and watch where I get gas that goes in her.

With the change in seasons in some parts of the country, the fuel can pick up condensation in the tanks and cause problems in the bikes then. Remember the temp differences between the tank trucks and the in ground tanks.

Dont forget about winter blend gasolines

HI JACK.... no airports around here

ANOTHER PROBLEM CAN BE AVOIDED:::: KEEP your tank FULL..... TOP UP BEFORE letting it sit in garage....

THE CONDENSATION can build easily when you have a low tank of fuel...

I ALWAYS top tank after ride...... then if it sits for any time I don't build up the moisture...

signed....BUBBIE

Back