free website stats program FLHRI 1997 engine stops | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHRI 1997 engine stops

wali

Hello everyone,
I am new on this site and the following problem occured on my bike.
After riding for about an hour the engine drops dead I fired up again an could drive for about 15 meters and than he stopt again.No possibility to start him up again , the ignition switch was function correct but when I pushed the run/off switch no red light or any other reaction.
I called assistance and waiting for them to come I tried several times to fire up the engine and after 1/2 hour he started.
3 weeks later the same problem occured, when driving the engine stopted and restarted, stopped and restarted till a certain moment he dropped dead,, again on arriving of the assistance after 1 1/2 hour this time, he started up again.
Has someome had a similar problem with his bike.
Thanks

If you lost all power to the lights etc, I would replace the main breaker. When they get older they can cause this problem.

Hello
thanks for the answers
I think Ill check first the run/off switch it could be a bad electric contact in the switch because when the engine stops all the eletric system ,lights, etc are working normally, but I turning the run/off switch the red light on the dashboard doesn't work,it is strange that this happens when the engine is hot and he can't be started , but when the engine cooled off everything works perfect

Hello
thanks for the answers
I think Ill check first the run/off switch it could be a bad electric contact in the switch because when the engine stops all the eletric system ,lights, etc are working normally, but I turning the run/off switch the red light on the dashboard doesn't work,it is strange that this happens when the engine is hot and he can't be started , but when the engine cooled off everything works perfect

Try disassembling the kill switch on the bars, cleaning any corrosion salts (green stuff) off the copper contacts, spray with contact cleaner, spray with lubricant, and then reassemble the switch and mount on the bars. See if that helps.

My '91 Dyna would do as you described. Drove me crazy chasing all the other stuff "it might be". Finally figured it out though.

TQ

When the motor cools down the main breaker cools down. the breaker is close to the motor. Main breakers are cheap and easy to replace and at any parts store.:cheers

Back