free website stats program FLHRC 99 Fuel Economy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHRC 99 Fuel Economy

As a point of comparison, I have a '99 Ultra, with an Andrews 26N cam , TFI, and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. I average about 45 to 47 mpg.

If you are worrying about being out of gas when the "idiot light" comes on, I suggest that light is just a heads up. There is a LOT of variation in when that light comes on across the HD lines, and even within a model/year. I would suggest that light is a heads up to make you look at the trip odometer and figure how many more miles/kms you have to go before you are pushing the beast. Record your fuel purchased vs. mile/kms traveled for a few fill ups. This gives you a reading on your average fuel economy. Use that to figure your MAXIMUM miles on a tank given the fuel capacity of your model (probably 5 gals.). Then use the light as a reminder to double check where you are, calculate quickly how many mile to safety (maximum miles - 20), and then start looking for gas around that point.

If you make yourself a simple little spreadsheet and record your fuel purchased and distance traveled religiously, you will know when to worry.

See attached.

TQ

Attachments

• Big bike mileage table.pdf
    11.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Big bike mileage chart.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 6
Ok, here is some more info. Appears the bike has original front pipes but the rear ends are 1992 and straight through makes a beautiful sound

Measured fuel consumption yesterday by the odometer 186km / added fuel 13 l creates and average of 14km/l or 33.5 Miles/gallon, actually not too bad

So should stop wanking and get riding :lero

oh and this weekend 2 up highway riding gave me 17.4km/ltr translates into 40 mls/gallon (US), so again, I need to stop complaining and accepting this completely normal usage.

So thanks for all the input

Cheers

Sanec how many litres of fuel are you putting in your tank at 120 miles. It sounds like it a likes to drink a lot.

I also have a 99 RKC with fuel injection. I am averaging 50 MPG when on the highway. (lower in the city) My low fuel light comes on early but I figure it is better than coming on late.

thanks for the info, my exhaust system has been changed so that it delivers more power, will likely impact fuel consumption. Am not too unhappy now that I have measured it as Glider suggested.

Cheers

Sanec how many litres of fuel are you putting in your tank at 120 miles. It sounds like it a likes to drink a lot.

Hi Kemo, I think I'm adding around 13 litres if I fuel up shortly after the idiot light comes on. I will be doing a "run the tank dry experiment" just to satisfy my curiousity.

Back