free website stats program FLHRC 99 Fuel Economy | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHRC 99 Fuel Economy

Sixftfive

Just joined and was wondering if you could direct me.

My 99 RC has a terrible fuel milage 120 miles to a tank is not unusual. Is this normal or can something be done about this. My VW Golf GTI does better than my bike.

Ok, understand as a novice I am not sure where to look

As far as I was told by the guy i bought it from it was a fairly stock bike apart from the mustang seat.

Take a look at the air filter to see if it is clean for starters. That will knock the MPG down considerably. Also maybe run some cleaner through the fuel system.

Thanks Glider will make a start on that and in the meantime will try and get specifics on what mod may have been carried out and get a picture of what that means.

Will report back on the experience

Just joined and was wondering if you could direct me.

My 99 RC has a terrible fuel milage 120 miles to a tank is not unusual. Is this normal or can something be done about this. My VW Golf GTI does better than my bike.

Couple of quick questions:
  1. What are you using to determine that you are out of gas at 120 miles?
  2. Is your bike carb or EFI?
  3. Have you been recording NUMBER of MILES ridden and NUMBER of GALLONS purchased at each fill up?

See here:

Fuel mileage - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I ride a 99 RKC as well. It has upgraded air intake and exhaust and a 21N Andrews cam. When the cams were replaced a fuel injection tuner was added. The reserve light comes on at around 115 miles. There is still what looks like an inch and a half of gas left in the tank. I'm curious if that is normal for this bike. I'd like to hear from some more RKC owners. A friend with a 98 Street Glide was getting annoyed with my frequent stops for gas on a long ride. His gauge was reading 3/4 when my reserve light came on. We were adding roughly the same amount of gas when refuelling so I suggested my tank may be smaller. I almost ran out of gas in Montreal at 147 miles on the odometer:small3d015:

Re: Fuel mileage

Folks,

I see a lot of chatter about fuel mileage. Let's see some data.

Tell us your model, engine size, tranny, mods, type of riding (mostly highway or traffic - stop n go), with or without passenger.

I am adding a separate chart for the Sportsters.

TQ

Thanks for the reply. I believe my FHLRCI 99 is stock and am not sure if the previous owner has modified it in any way. As said am somewhat of a novice and learning fast.

FHLRCI 99, 5 speed, medium traffic, no passenger, good acceleration from lights but sedate cruising at 60mph (top speed in NZ).

H

I ride a 99 RKC as well. It has upgraded air intake and exhaust and a 21N Andrews cam. When the cams were replaced a fuel injection tuner was added. The reserve light comes on at around 115 miles. There is still what looks like an inch and a half of gas left in the tank. I'm curious if that is normal for this bike. I'd like to hear from some more RKC owners. A friend with a 98 Street Glide was getting annoyed with my frequent stops for gas on a long ride. His gauge was reading 3/4 when my reserve light came on. We were adding roughly the same amount of gas when refuelling so I suggested my tank may be smaller. I almost ran out of gas in Montreal at 147 miles on the odometer:small3d015:

Thanks, sounds very much like mine, although I am not sure what mods are done. Will check it out

I have a 1999 RKC and low fuel light comes on at 140 and I fill up at 160 and it takes about 3.3 gallons. The only mods to my RKC is stage 1 kit.

Back