free website stats program FLHR RR Tire for Spoked Rim | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHR RR Tire for Spoked Rim

wjsjr

I'm riding a 1999 FLHR and am for the first time buying a rear tire myself and not through my dealer. My INDY shop closed this year and I'm on my own ordering through the WWW.

The tire that's on it is a Dunlop MT90B16 MC 74H D402 white wide sidewall. There is the word TUBELESS on the tire. I have spoked rims.

My question is...I thought with spoked rims a tube was required. Do I need to order just the tire or tire and tube?

Sorry for the newbie question, and thanks for the help in advance.

The tires will say tubeless but with spoked wheels you'll need a tube. I'd recommend putting a new tube in with the tire change.

I just got a new tire for mine and have been using Jake Wilson for for my tire needs. They claim they'll beat anyone's price and offer free shipping. I ordered mine and had it in 3 days.

Last edited:
The tires will say tubeless but with spoked wheels you'll need a tube. I'd recommend putting a new tube in with the tire change.
Jeff is right, even if your wheel ere set for tubeless, I would run a tube and a new rim strip for peace of mind JMO

I believe all tires today are tubeless. As recommended above new tube and rim strip need to be replaced also.

ALL tires are now tubeless rated, hence the sidewall imprint. You should also order a new rim strip, they are cheap and protect the tube from chaffing on spoke nipples.

When replacing a tyre on a spoke rim I always fit a new tube and rim tape the place I buy sells the tube and rim tape together so they are the correct size
I did an article on tyre changing years back but seems to have gone as all the pics were in my album which did not survive the forum upgrade so perhaps I will re do the tyre change guide sometime soon

Brian

I hate tubed tires; too old school for me and if you ever change a rear tire out in the Texas hill country, or anywhere in Texas for that matter, in July; you will curse tubed tires for the rest of your life.

My BMW R9T came with tubed tires; I know the bike is supposed to be a bit retro, but tubed tires? really? Anyway, the first thing I did to the bike was to pull the tubes and go to a tubeless setup that simply requires a plug to get back on the road. Cost was less than $20 and the operation is a bit time consuming because to do it properly, you have to allow sufficient cure time between sealant applications. Before converted, the tubed tires would drop 4-6psi in a week or two between rides and after converting, it would take 4 weeks before the tires would show any loss of pressure.

http://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM/Tubeless/

Thanks everyone. That's kinda what I was thinking. Seeing "Tubeless" threw me. Order the tire, tube and rim strip.

Glad again I joined this forum!

Have spokes on my 14 RK, run tubes, my experience has been they hold air great. As Dolt said I hope to not experience a flat in hot boondocks of TX. Knock on wood..

Back