free website stats program FLH Service | Harley Davidson Forums

FLH Service

A buddy bought a 2002 Road King, hasn't obtained a service manual yet. I'm trying to help him out. How much of what type oil in each hole. And where are the drain plugs? Filter PN?

I tried to download the manual and clicked close by accident so I have to wait another week...

Jim; The engine oil drain plug is on the left side of the pan. It is a hex head plug, NOT the flush mount allen head next to it. The transmission drain is close to the right frame rail. The primary drain is usually just forward of the bottom of the derby. Careful, this one is sometimes a tapered pipe fitting.
Oil quantities are usually 32 oz. transmission, 32-38 oz, primary (best to fill just to bottom of clutch basket when standing straight up. I don't remember if the '88 were 3 1/2 or 4qt. engine oil. Use dipstick.
I'm not gonna get into the "which oil is best" but I recommend a synthetic air cooled 4 stroke 20w50 oil for the engine. A quality 75-90 or 75-140 gear oil (synthetic is worth the $$),for the trans, and Harley formula + for the primary.
HD oil filter for twin cams are; 63798-99A(chrome) , 63731-99A(black). If your are going to the HD store for filter, also recommend picking up new o-rings for the drain plugs.
All this data is in the owners manual if he has one.

My wife's 2002 Dyna: clutch adjustment is just like my 2007 UC, if that helps.

Also to add to Breeze3at comments about getting new gaskets:
The primary/clutch gasket was different on my wife's 2002. I don't know if it will be the same on the RK. The original gasket was a red/orange rubber ring gasket that went into a groove. The replacement gaskets now are a fiber disk (like a small paper plate) that has some rubberized material at critical areas. When I got new gaskets to do the first fluid change on her bike, I thought they had given me the wrong one, as the one in the Dyna was the original.
I think HD improved on the gasket design.

there is a video on youtube just search "harley davidson roadking oil change" he doesn't cover every little thing but i think it will give you a good general idea how 2 apply all the info you have learned from this post

Back