Fleece Jeans vs Chaps

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by dogdad, Dec 5, 2009.

1. dogdad

dogdad Active Member

Anyone else out there wear fleece lined jeans for riding? I can't seem to go get myself to do the chaps. I find the fleece jeans really block the wind and are warm. For real cold days(35-45*) I'll put some capeline pants underneath. I bought some "Icebreaker 260 Merino wool " long johns today and will try them out tomorrow morning. According to Icebreaker,,they're supposed to be warmer, less odor,compared to synthetics like Capeline and are like a second skin. Made from the mountain sheep in the Southern Alps of New Zealand.
    Also picked up a pair of these for the hands,, Marmot work Gloves.......waterproof , windproof, warm....on sale for $68 with free shipping.

2. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

I've been using the Carhart flannel lined jeans for two years now. They work wonders!

3. lowriderfrf

lowriderfrf Member

I have used Carthart quilt lined jeans for a couple of years too. I haven't had any problems and they are comfortable. That said, I am considering getting chaps too, so I can choose between the two. The Cartharts can be a little hard to live with if you are staying indoors for a while with them on, whereas the chaps can be removed and stored.

4. Animal

Animal Active Member

I use fleece jeans with chaps, but then again I am a Northern Rider!

5. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

There are two things chaps do for you. They block the wind and help to prevent road rash if you have a spill. They do not keep you warm. If you have a touring bike with the lowers then the chaps aren't really going to help you with the wind and if your jeans are thick enough they will suffice for the chaps. Fossil

6. twicecam

twicecam Active Member

Try silk long johns. very light but very warm:coffee

7. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I also use both. In Ohio the weather can get pretty cold, but It's probably more of being a Geezer is the reason I get so cold now. :D

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
  9. y2kflhr

y2kflhr Active Member

I got a pair of firstgear ht 2 pants, they double as rainpaints and they are thinsulate lined, it was in the 30s and all I had on was a pair of jeans underneath and they were still warm

10. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

Two weekends ago I was riding in low 40's. Used the fleece lined jeans under Frank Thomas riding pants (waterproof). Had no problem being warm enough.

XTi Xtreme Trouser @ Frank Thomas